L3800 vs Grand 60 models

ShowMeGuy

Mar 9, 2015
STL, MO
I went to the dealer on Saturday. I kinda was looking at the B3350 series but dang they are the same price as a L3800. So I kinda changed my thoughts.
I got some prices on a L3800HST and a L3200HST.

When I was in there getting quotes and out looking at the machines with the sales guy this didn't come up but on the way out with the quotes below I stopped by one more time to look them over and thought to myself, "What is that pedal for on the left side" I don't think it's a clutch per say I don't think but I'm gonna guess it's PTO clutch? Do tell!

L3200HST w/LA534 FEL, One rear remote and washer fluid in rears - $20,345.00
L3800HST w/LA534 FEL, One rear remote and washer fluid in rears - $22,345.00

He mentioned that was 0 for 60 price, which was same as cash..... I find that different than what I've been reading out here on the web.

Anyways...

I'm about as fickle as ever on these Kubotas. I like the ergonomics of the Grand 60s and the loader lever as well as just the OPEN station and Cab tractors over all layout better. But honestly don't know if I can convince myself to pay for em.. But I don't want to wish I had later..... catch 22....

So I'd like to hear from both sides of the fence about their pros/cons, wish I would'a could'a done this next time.....

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I bought an l3560 last November. The dealer first tried to sell me an l3800, in part because of the upper limit on my budget for the tractor and implements. I messed around looking at other tractors and found features on JD that I liked, and features on a Farmall that I liked. Then I stopped by the Kubota dealer and found the 3560 had all of them in the same tractor. It has worked out well for me to me to postpone getting some of the implements and getting a better base tractor. Especially since some of the things I thought I wanted would have been a bad idea.

The pros for a 3800 are no dpf to worry about. The cons for the 3800 include a 3 pt hitch valve that can be annoyingly jerky. There are a bunch of guys on the forum that have them and love them and can tell you why better than I can.

The pros for the 3560 are that it is on a little larger heavier frame, and overall things are better put together. The HST is really great and you have autothrottle and 6 speeds. The fuel tank fill is reachable from the ground and the tank etc is shielded from below by a metal shroud. The main con is the tier 4 emission diesel particulate filter dpf, that has to be paid attention to. There is a regeneration cycle every 20 or so hours that lasts 15 min. It requires the rpm be above a certain level during that time. It has not been a big deal so far on mine. The pieces associated with the emissions technology have a 5 year warranty. It is a super easy tractor to start even in cold weather without a block heater. There has been a recall on the 3301, 3901, and --60 series tractors for cold weather freezing problems, but no one whose tractor had the kit installed on it has had problems that I know about. Warranty took care of others who didn't get their tractors in for the kit.

So far I am delighted with my 3560.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
What sheepfarmer said, I don't have an L60, but rather an L40. I too initially looked at the Lxx00 figuring they were the better buy, but it only took about ten minutes of getting on and off the L and Grand L to decide the Grand L was the way to go. Much more comfortable and roomy operator's platform, tilt steering wheel, extendable links on 3PH, smooth, powerful 3PH and I love the HST+.

I'm not knocking the L3800, it's a great tractor for a lot of people, it just wasn't for me.

DevilDog

Equipment
L3540 HST3, 72" Woods Rear Finishing Mower, L3584" Land Pride BB, 72" York Rake,
Feb 1, 2011
upstate N.Y.
The Grand L3540 that i now have is my third Kubota. I had a BX23TLB and a B3200TLB and really loved them both and they were trouble free and amazing tractors on what they could do. That being said the grand L now is hands down the best choice I could have made, as Triple R has said the HST plus and all the other goodies including higher capacity fel and 3 point hitch lifts are all plus. Do your self a favor and get the quick attach for your fel so implement changes are a snap, you won't be sorry you did.
DevilDog

ShowMeGuy

Mar 9, 2015
STL, MO
Sounds like the grands are the ticket... Finding one without a cab is turning out to be a little bit of trouble so far.....

More to come... I'll let everyone know what happens.....

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I have a L3800DT and love it! Simple, Simple, Simple. No bells and whistles. Not knocking the grands, but this is just what I like. :cool:

Around here cash price was close to 10% less than the 0/60. But dealers are different and do things differently.