l3800 transmission noise

freddiet

Equipment
L3800
Jun 15, 2012
Kennett,MO.Dunklin
I just bought a new L3800 HST and I also am concerned about the loud whine on the tractor. I am wondering if a frequency meter could be used on the tractor case and verify the noise source and then use the numerous methods available of sound deading to decrease the offending noise. I have used this method many times during years of tracking bearing failures in pumps. Just a thought. Freddiet.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I really don't understand the problem....so what it's a little noisy, get over it, it's a tractor and a damn good one. I wear ear muffs with my cub cadet lawn tractor. If that doesn't work for ya wire up a kick ass stereo. Are ya gonna put up with a little noise or buy a stick. For me a little convenience far outways a little noise. For the record, I do not have a cab on mine. I have the poor man's cab called snowmobile gear. OK boys and girls fire away but bottom line is I'm more than happy with my tractor....even waxed it yesterday...yyup that's luv
Sounds like good common sense to me... :cool:

homefront

Equipment
L3800HST
Jun 4, 2012
N/E Pennsylvania, USA
Ok, I'll throw in here.

I've got 20 hours on my L3800 HST and while the HST whine has taken some getting used to, I still prefer hearing that whine to having to constantly use the clutch and brake for the work I do.

I've been running my BH80-X and LA463 loader quite a bit, which adds something like 2,000lbs. to the machine. It is happy to run at 2,200 - 2,500rpm in medium range, just to get from one place to another, even uphill. I use Lo range for all work. I can only foresee using Hi range to run the same setup on a fairly level, paved road. Running in Hi with a heavy load may be asking a bit much of the HST, especially a new one.

I wear earplugs. I used to shoot a lot and started developing tinnitus,which can only worsen without protection, so I wear them on the L3800 and on my motorcycle, when I'm using power tools, etc.