L3800 Tie rod removal

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST TLB, LA524, BH77, Ford 917L
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
The grease fittings in my outer tie rod ends were both broken off by the PO. It looks like it will be easier to deal with this on the bench vs sitting on the garage floor. I'm assuming it will be comparable to removing a tie rod on a car which I have the tools for.

Any idea on thread size? I think the threads are different on the tractor vs the implements (LA524 and BH77).

Thanks
Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Before going to the work of removing the tie rod assembly, try lightly driving a small flat screwdriver into the hole of the Zerk.

Then turn the screwdriver with vice grips.

Zerks are rarely rusted and often come out easily since they are greased regularly.

Dave

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If you have one of these in your toolbox the easy-out is built right in for broken fittings.

Luckystars

Equipment
M5950 M1840A RTV900 CLUB CAR CARRY ALL 1
Mar 1, 2018
Webster FL USA
The grease fittings in my outer tie rod ends were both broken off by the PO. It looks like it will be easier to deal with this on the bench vs sitting on the garage floor. I'm assuming it will be comparable to removing a tie rod on a car which I have the tools for.

Any idea on thread size? I think the threads are different on the tractor vs the implements (LA524 and BH77).

Thanks
Dave
If you have a torx set of sockets you can find one that will snuggly tap into the center hole. The 6 points of the torx star are the best easy out. You shouldn't be under the tractor 5 minutes. As for the thread size I'd just have the Harbor Freight assortment kit handy.

DaveMueller

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST TLB, LA524, BH77, Ford 917L
Apr 16, 2019
Mill Run
I was able to get both out with a new set of ez outs. Luckily, they had the drill sizes etched on them and I had the proper size, and it was sharp to boot! The fittings were harder than I expected.

Thanks
Dave