L3800 Reviews?

sadie72

Jan 1, 2012
Burlington, Vermont, USA
Looking for any testimonials on the L3800 HST, 4x4, 524FEL with BH77 backhoe. Having troubles finding reviews on this newer model.

Any issues with the new design, FEL, 3 pnt, tires, PTO hp? I'm wondering how the tractor handles work with the BH77. Any reviews are appreciated.

My plans are to manage a 30 acre woodlot, bush hog 6 acres, snowblow, utility trenches, food plots...

Thank you.

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I have a L3800 HST with FEL (with quick attachs). The tractor has about 60 hrs on it and I really like it. The only problem I've had with it is the seat switch which needed to be replaced by the dealer (warranty) cause the tractor would shut off when I stood up. Other than that - the unit has been a great tractor for me. I have 18 acres of woods and lawn and it does the trick for me. I also purchased a 66" box blade, a 72" rear blade (for snow), and a set of 48" pallet forks. The 4WD is awesome! I have the R4 (Industrial) tires on it - with the rear ones loaded with RimGuard. I had the dealer weld some 3/8 hooks on the top edge of the bucket - which makes it easy when I want to lift something with a chain. I have used the unit without any rear attachment on it - but it tends to bounce a lot more when the bucket is loaded. Therefore, I usually keep the box blade or rear blade on it for ballast. I really like the HST - the folks here at OOT told me to get the HST if I was going to do any kind of FEL work....they were right. It's so easy to go from forward to reverse or back with just a slight pressure on the HST (right hand) petal. Actually, the only time I use the the clutch - at all - is to start the tractor.

In short, I would recommend this tractor to anyone who wants a good entry level tractor with plenty of power - all for under $20K.

Feel free to send me a private message or email if you have more questions.

TK

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bought a L3800 3 weeks ago and love it! 4wd, FEL and gear drive. Great tractor, especially for the price.

I also have a larger L3750 that is old (1984). Good tractor, but I wanted/needed one that was smaller and more maneuverable. The 3800 will spend most of it time mowing, but will see some bucket, logging and box blade work too.

SugarTractor

Banned

Equipment
L3800HST, Potato Operation
Jan 14, 2012
Hamburg, PA, USA
We got an L3800HST 4WD, Ag Tires, Cruz Control, full compliment of front rack weights, rear tire Rim Guard added for gound weight, rear work light, and rear hydraulic outlet options, last fall 2011 as the primary utility tractor in our benefit potato operation, in which we did 13.2 acres last year.

I find the rear 3 point lift arms about 4 inches too short, compared to our older tractors. Our moldboard plows coulter forward extension hits the right side lift connecting arm of the tractor. Measuring the tractors lift arm length puts them about 4 inches shorter on the L3800 compared to Ferguson TO-30 and TO-35 tractors. That's a problem on the Kubota, and this I didn't anticipate at all.

Also, I find the rear lights stick out somewhat too far. If an implement such as square front rear pallet forks, is cranked tight with the center arm for tilt, upon raising the hydraulics, the fork unit can mash the left and right rear lights at maximum height. Not good either.

The light switch, flasher, and key switches all keep getting knocked by our knees. Soon the light switch will be broken, especially by simply getting on and off the tractor. We keep inadvertently shutting off the tractor during operations by bumping the key switch, while tending rear implement operations, as well as bumping the flashers on all the time.

You'd think after all these years the above would be compatible, and worked out, operations wise.

I can find no Locking Gas Cap option, nor anti-tamper Hood Lock option. For when leaving the tractor out in the field away from home. Already had to replace the gas cap once, and $20 buck purchase to get a new one shipped in.

>It would be nice to have a tilt and or telescopic steering wheel option.

>Visibility front and sides is very good, rear - not so good.

>I find the ROPS is out of the head banging way. Though I nipped the wire rope that holds the fold down bolts, as they were a pain in the arse during ROPS changes up and down.

>I find the seat belt awkward, and in the way of the left side controls all the time.

>The right side hydraulic control lever does not have quite enough change length to suit me, adding the and extra restrictor knobs.

>Comfortable to operate, strictly working forward. I find I wish the seat had a slight swivel while I work moving forward and looking backward in the field.

> I find the front loader hydraulics as tested acceptable, but not as powerful as a lesser horsepower JD sorry to say.

> I think you'll be snow blowing from the rear, as I don't recall there's a mid mount front PTO unit...

> My tractor makes a clicking sound, at idle, but when PTO is enguaged. When delivered, the Cruz Control would not hold during work, the hydraulic oil was leaking and dripped on right side, all taken care of since. 50 Hour break-in kit of filters and oils costs +/-$262, if you do the change work yourself.

>Plenty of power for it’s reported 37HP engine +30 drawbar & PTO, and a mighty growl comes from the engine though it be of course a stinky diesel, though typically loud to me. Not exactly a fuel miser though, it uses up its share of diesel just as fast as my old '52 Farmall Cub uses gas, gallons wise, doing the same work. And uses more than our 30HP gas Fergusons working in the field. I anticipated the L3800 might have done better. There aren't a lot of choices of utility tractors in this class at this aggressive price range though.

You can check us out at http://IHartHarvest.dyndns.org

-WaltZ

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Waltz, sounds like you should have bought a Grand L model. Larger and more ergonomic cockpit, tilt wheel, etc (can't remember all the extras). But of course it cost more money.

There are better tractors, but the L3800 is hard to beat for it's price.

Code54

Equipment
Kubota MX5100
Jan 14, 2012
Hurricane, WV
I had a L3700 which is VERY VERY close to the L3800 (newer hood and a wee tiny bit more HP)
Overall it was a very good machine and I really liked it. I found it had GOOD power for its size, ran EXCELLENT, decent loader and I felt it was laid out very well for a smaller machine. It is not massive by any means but for a CUT it was fairly roomy (in my opinion)
I did not care for the 3pt jerkiness, it was tough to use a post hole digger sometimes because it jerked a good bit - he nice thing was it jerked hard enough when you took it out of the hole it self cleaned!
The loader was a bit weak when I bought it but a quick check with my pressure gauge and I learned it was set several 100 PSI below the factory max, a quick adjustment later and it was good. The other draw back is it is very light - load the rears and that will help a lot!
I sold mine and bought a larger machine because I ended up needing more loader capacity and I want to be able to put a larger hoe on it at some point.
Would I recommend it - YES, if it fits the size range you need, they are a well made machine and I can say have excellent resale value if you ever find you need something larger.

ColdRider

Equipment
L3800 Hst,QA fel, B7200Hst,(sold) tiller, bushhog, finish mower, snow plow blade
Jan 23, 2011
Northern Maine
I bought my 3800 last spring. It is everything I expected.
I don't have a backhoe so can't help you there.
I mowed 4 acres of lawn all summer and bush hogged enough to learn my 4' woods was way too small for this machine, still looking for a good used 5-6 footer.
I tilled gardens with a 54" Howard rotorvator, I had to keep looking back to even know it was working. So far, plenty of power nothing has stopped it.
I was concerned with lack of chains this winter but no problems with traction yet, R4's loaded. Definately load them and add weight on the rear for loader work. It is light and the loader will lift plenty. It would lift the rear before I had them filled and was quite tippy. No problems now.
I can hardly believe how easy it starts in the cold. 15-20 seconds on the glow plugs and she fires up (on the first roll most every time). I keep it in an unheated shed. -12F is the coldest yet and she fired right up.
Hydro is the way to go. Had it on my last Kubota and will on my next if I ever need another.
It will use about a gallon of fuel / hour when I'm working it, but it does a lot of work in that hour.
I've got 72 hours on it with no troubles and I think I'll keep it longer than my last one. I had that one 17 years. Hope this helps.