L3800 l3901 l2502

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I am certainly no "pro", but here is my $.02

Normally, I am a "buy it new" kinda guy; However, If that 3800 is really a "low hour, cream puff", then thats the route I would go most likely.

Since I try to do all my own "maintenance and repair work" , I despise the ".Gov" emissions regulations and the unnecessary complications that come along with them.

I don't know how handy the OP is, so that might be a factor for him. The new machines will have a warranty so maybe that is a concern?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day.

To me from an out the door price / value the L3800 is by far the better value, assuming nothing wrong with it.

if buy new/finance, don’t forget insurance or KTAC…KTAC is really good coverage but the is another expense I did not see mentioned in the string above. Insurance is not a bad idea for L3800…point would be make sure understand all the costs.

For me, just for me, I would have to think I want to cough up 22ishK$ (use up cash) vs the finance knowing full well I am paying off with dollars that are losing value themselves not to mention the inflationary policy we are living through. So buy new makes a lot of sense depending on how you do the math.

Again, assuming nothing major wrong with the L3800, it’s barely broken in from an hours of use standpoint and comes with a couple implements (I am assuming it has SSQA? If that matters I’d check that)…not to mention pre emissions. Simpler is better IMO.

it’s not my money or anything but I think the L3800 is the better value (machine weight and capability/implements/price) and I don’t think you would lose any money on it….seems a pretty safe bet.

good luck. ☕

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Good day.

To me from an out the door price / value the L3800 is by far the better value, assuming nothing wrong with it.

if buy new/finance, don’t forget insurance or KTAC…KTAC is really good coverage but the is another expense I did not see mentioned in the string above. Insurance is not a bad idea for L3800…point would be make sure understand all the costs.

For me, just for me, I would have to think I want to cough up 22ishK$ (use up cash) vs the finance knowing full well I am paying off with dollars that are losing value themselves not to mention the inflationary policy we are living through. So buy new makes a lot of sense depending on how you do the math.

Again, assuming nothing major wrong with the L3800, it’s barely broken in from an hours of use standpoint and comes with a couple implements (I am assuming it has SSQA? If that matters I’d check that)…not to mention pre emissions. Simpler is better IMO.

it’s not my money or anything but I think the L3800 is the better value (machine weight and capability/implements/price) and I don’t think you would lose any money on it….seems a pretty safe bet.

good luck. ☕
"So buy new makes a lot of sense depending on how you do the math" ????

I bought my 251 hour L48 TLB, with 251 hours, for $32K, cash, in June of 2019.
From comparables, it appears that my L48 currently (it has all the bells & whistles) may have a value of $50K.
$18K (56%) increased value, on a 5 year ago used tractor purchase, is VERY good "math" IMHO!

Sure wish that some other ventures had been as delightfully rewarding.

Last edited:

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
I am certainly no "pro", but here is my $.02

Normally, I am a "buy it new" kinda guy; However, If that 3800 is really a "low hour, cream puff", then thats the route I would go most likely.

Since I try to do all my own "maintenance and repair work" , I despise the ".Gov" emissions regulations and the unnecessary complications that come along with them.

I don't know how handy the OP is, so that might be a factor for him. The new machines will have a warranty so maybe that is a concern?
Thank you! I'm more of a repair myself kind of guy if it's something I think I can handle. That's always option 1 for me, dealer if I think I'll break more than what's already broken trying to fix it hahaha
Y'all have been so helpful to a complete stranger and I really appreciate it

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
Good day.

good luck. ☕
Thank you! Really helpful! I'm ok with using the cash if I feel like the tractor is the right decision. I do think the bigger size is what is right for me, so realistically we're talking 22 vs 31+ implements which would probably push it up to at least 34 assuming I can find used implements.

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
So, if the L2502 includes a bunch of attachments (and particularly a grapple + 3rd function kit), then the price isn't really apples for apples with the L3901. I'd sit down and do the maths to make them all equivalent in equipment, then look at the spread of price. I'm guessing that'll make the L3901 quite a bit more expensive, and so then really the L3800 has all the power of the L3901 at about the price of the L2502 (or even cheaper). And no emissions. Sure, it's older. But not too old.
Thank you! So the 2502 would be 30 for the same implements at the 3800. Or 36k for the 3901 and implements if I get them new. Sounds pretty obvious when I look at it that way. 0% doesn't make up for 14k assuming I can negotiate the 3800 a couple grand

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thank you! So the 2502 would be 30 for the same implements at the 3800. Or 36k for the 3901 and implements if I get them new. Sounds pretty obvious when I look at it that way. 0% doesn't make up for 14k assuming I can negotiate the 3800 a couple grand
Check the quality of the implements as well, not all are equal. Often the dealer is selling the low end land pride, not the heavier duty ones. The L3800 may also be light duty implements, or may be good ones.

Neil from Messicks did this good video decoding a few implement numbers, and explaining light duty vs medium duty.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
L3800 Sounds nice but I am not familiar with that model as much. My problem when shopping was used just holds their value too much and the price difference wasn't enough to justify it. I ended up with the L3302 and I like it. The L2502 did not have the power I wanted after coming from a B2601. The 3302 splits the difference and made the 3901 not really worth the extra $$ as it is really only 37 hp.

The accessories add up pretty quick though with the grapple and front remote to run it.

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
Check the quality of the implements as well, not all are equal. Often the dealer is selling the low end land pride, not the heavier duty ones. The L3800 may also be light duty implements, or may be good ones.

Neil from Messicks did this good video decoding a few implement numbers, and explaining light duty vs medium duty.
Thank you so much!

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
L3800 Sounds nice but I am not familiar with that model as much. My problem when shopping was used just holds their value too much and the price difference wasn't enough to justify it. I ended up with the L3302 and I like it. The L2502 did not have the power I wanted after coming from a B2601. The 3302 splits the difference and made the 3901 not really worth the extra $$ as it is really only 37 hp.

The accessories add up pretty quick though with the grapple and front remote to run it.
Thank you! I think I've decided the 2502 is out just from a power perspective. Based on this comment and a buddy that came out to the property said it just isn't enough for what I have to do. I'll take a look at the l3302 but right now I'm leaning towards the l3800.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
One thing that pops up occasionally is brake pedal location with regard to making sharp turns. I've never felt the need to do that here at home. Years ago I helped the in-laws cultivate corn that was probably less than 2' tall. I did use braking at the ends of some rows with results I wouldn't want in my yard.

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
The used tractor with implements would be my vote. Worst case if the implements aren't up to the task, sell them to fund heavier duty ones or ones that will do what you need. Odd's are they'll work well enough for you to figure out what you want. I'd also move faster than slower on your decision. Sounds like a decent deal and if publicly advertised likely won't last too long.

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
The used tractor with implements would be my vote. Worst case if the implements aren't up to the task, sell them to fund heavier duty ones or ones that will do what you need. Odd's are they'll work well enough for you to figure out what you want. I'd also move faster than slower on your decision. Sounds like a decent deal and if publicly advertised likely won't last too long.
Thank you! The guy did take the listing down and is letting me come see it, so that was really cool of him

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you! The guy did take the listing down and is letting me come see it, so that was really cool of him
Do not dilly-dally!
Go with your gut!
If you like it.....buy it on the spot!
I predict that it will be quickly gone, if you dither.

Reactions: 2 users

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
Do not dilly-dally!
Go with your gut!
If you like it.....buy it on the spot!
I predict that it will be quickly gone, if you dither.
Oh I'll be driving away with the tractor if I like it. It's 2 hours from my house. Not making that trip twice 😂

Any opinion on fair price to ask? I'm leaning toward 22k

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Oh I'll be driving away with the tractor if I like it. It's 2 hours from my house. Not making that trip twice 😂

Any opinion on fair price to ask? I'm leaning toward 22k
Without seeing it......I think $22K could be a fair price.
Now,......The question is,.... if you had to go to $22.5K would you do that?
I am thinking I would, ......especially after driving 2 hours to see it.

I bought my (251 hour) L48 TLB for $32K, all the while thinking that $31K was my max.
A nearly 5 hour drive (private owner also), and I decided I would likely not find a better one.
That was nearly 5 years ago.
I have not seen a better one since, and the used price has skyrocketed!

Last edited:

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
Without seeing it......I think $22K could be a fair price.
Now,......The question is,.... if you had to go to $22.5K would you do that?
I am thinking I would, ......especially after driving 2 hours to see it.

I bought my (251 hour) L48 TLB for $32K, all the while thinking that $31K was my max.
A nearly 5 hour drive (private owner also), and I decided I would likely not find a better one.
That was nearly 5 years ago.
I have not seen a better one since, and the used price has skyrocketed!
Prices have just been insane for everything. Used cars, new cars, farm equipment. That's why I messaged this guy pretty quickly because I saw some go up and get sold immediately. This is a pic I snagged before he took down the listing
signal-2024-03-28-12-06-41-052.png

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Prices have just been insane for everything. Used cars, new cars, farm equipment. That's why I messaged this guy pretty quickly because I saw some go up and get sold immediately. This is a pic I snagged before he took down the listing View attachment 125536
I think it is a beaut!
Snag it, .......and let us know that you did!

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Looks very clean, hopefully well taken care off too. I drove 3ish hours each way to pick up my B2650 with FEL in 2021 from a private seller in amish country PA. Could not find anything in stock new, 3-10 month wait times. Was 2 years old, 104hours , looked pristine in the pictures and in person, talked him down $500 to $14k.

Buckeye22

Mar 30, 2024
South carolina
Looks very clean, hopefully well taken care off too. I drove 3ish hours each way to pick up my B2650 with FEL in 2021 from a private seller in amish country PA. Could not find anything in stock new, 3-10 month wait times. Was 2 years old, 104hours , looked pristine in the pictures and in person, talked him down $500 to $14k.
Wow that's a killer deal! Glad it worked out!