L3800 Known Starting Issue?

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My issue was resolved later at the dealer: The HST FWD-REV lawyer switches were way too tightly adjusted. The backed both off and the problem disappeared. Bonus is, I can move my tractor at a snails pace if I need to move it forward or backward without getting on it. Never had another starting issue but, my battery is now 5 years old and I am thinking it's about time to invest in a new one.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Wow. Your battery is 15 years old? Really?
Arizona is pretty hard on batteries. In cars, you are lucky to get three years out of one if you drive a lot in summer. The tractor battery lives on a tender and it stays indoors so I am lucky with that one but, it's cranking slower than normal.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Just started to slow down today... I'll put a charger on it tomorrow. I'll normally throw a charger on it before I start it so it's not truly a fair comparison. I leave the hood up to discourage mice so clamping the charger to the battery is pretty quick and easy thing to do...

Even after starting the tractor (as it warms up) the charger is still charging the battery until it reads "Full"... Never used a tender, don't want to leave something hooked up when we leave. Not sure we'll be back in a couple weeks or a few months.