L3800 HST Shift Problem

Groceryman

Equipment
L3800
Jul 19, 2015
Pinnacle nc usa
I have a new to me L3800 with 70 hours on the clock. Of course prior to buying it seemed to shift fine. Now it takes some "double clutching" to shift from neutral to Low, medium, or high range. I am seeing no line on the gearlube sight glass. Wondering if low fluid is culprit. Also wondering if generic hydraulic/hydrostatic fluid from TSC is alright to use.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Shifting sounds normal. Sometimes it takes a little pressure on the HST pedal to get lined up.

The background on the sight glass is bright white. If overfilled, the fluid is somewhat clear but the background will not be bright white.

If the tractor had its 50 hour service, then both hydraulic filters, engine oil and filter should have been changed. The clutch should have been adjusted.

At only 70 hours it probably has Kubota UDT or SUDT. I will keep using the SUDT myself.

Groceryman

Equipment
L3800
Jul 19, 2015
Pinnacle nc usa
Thanks. I will stick with the Kubota fluid. I guess I will try adding just a few ounces @ a time to hopefully see a line. I understand that it is sometimes hard to tell whether you are looking through an overfull sight glass or an empty one.