L3800 fuel problem, elementary question

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
Today while using a rotary mower behind my L3800, (415 hrs on hour meter) it started to loose power, running rough, and blowing some white smoke. I shut the mower down, slowed the engine down to an idle and headed for the shop.
I changed the fuel filter, and made sure I had a full stream from the fuel tank, oil and water levels were where they should be. Strarted the tractor back up and it would idle just fine, at wide open throttle after while it would start to lose rpm's and stumble just a little bit but not as bad as it was before I changed the fuel filter.
The fuel was fresh about a week ago. I'm not very good at working on diesels, where should I look next? or what should I do next?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Jim

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
White smoke frequently indicates water. Is it still blowing some white smoke? The fresh fuel you got may have excessive moisture. We can hope it's that minor. Beyond that a compression check could be in order. A blown head gasket is not beyond the realm of possibility.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Today while using a rotary mower behind my L3800, (415 hrs on hour meter) it started to loose power, running rough, and blowing some white smoke. I shut the mower down, slowed the engine down to an idle and headed for the shop.
I changed the fuel filter, and made sure I had a full stream from the fuel tank, oil and water levels were where they should be. Strarted the tractor back up and it would idle just fine, at wide open throttle after while it would start to lose rpm's and stumble just a little bit but not as bad as it was before I changed the fuel filter.
The fuel was fresh about a week ago. I'm not very good at working on diesels, where should I look next? or what should I do next?
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Jim
Did you check the air filter and make sure it wasn't clogged?

Disconnect the fuel line at the inlet to the injection pump. You should have plenty of flow at this point. If you have a lift pump, crank the engine to make sure it's delivering fuel. Some lift pumps have a screen under the cover that can be cleaned. If you don't have a gush of fuel, work back towards the tank to find the cause. Stuff can get trapped in the filter head and the lines.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Jim - - for giggles, when cold, take the radiator cap off, and start the tractor at idle.

See if you have a bunch of bubbles in the top of the radiator.

It's not definitive, but it's an indication of head or head gasket issues from exhaust gases.

F2036

Jan 25, 2014
Bondurant Ia
I have figured out that there is water in the fuel. The fuel filter housing has a light colored section in the bottom. I took it off and cleaned it out, I also took the fuel line from the tank off and it runs a full stream of fuel to the injector pump. I put everything back together and it ran pretty darn good, for a while, then back to spit and sputter loosing rpm etc. Fuel filter had more water in it.
I am going to drain the tank tomorrow and flush out with some fresh diesel fuel.
If I remember right, I've read where some fellas have put a water seperator/filter on their BX models from a bigger Kubota tractor to help filter and ensure good fuel. Right now that sounds like a really good idea to me. I wish the L3800 had a wate rseperator/filter on it to start with , but then I wouldn't have the fun of putting one on my L3800 :)
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
I have figured out that there is water in the fuel. The fuel filter housing has a light colored section in the bottom. I took it off and cleaned it out, I also took the fuel line from the tank off and it runs a full stream of fuel to the injector pump. I put everything back together and it ran pretty darn good, for a while, then back to spit and sputter loosing rpm etc. Fuel filter had more water in it.
I am going to drain the tank tomorrow and flush out with some fresh diesel fuel.
If I remember right, I've read where some fellas have put a water seperator/filter on their BX models from a bigger Kubota tractor to help filter and ensure good fuel. Right now that sounds like a really good idea to me. I wish the L3800 had a wate rseperator/filter on it to start with , but then I wouldn't have the fun of putting one on my L3800 :)
Thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Water get into the fuel in at least two different ways: contamination in the suppliers tanks; condensation. You can't do much about the former but you can manage the later rather simply. Try to keep you tank full especially if you don't use your tractor often. This is especially important in those areas with high relative humidity over long periods of time. Water separators are standard on a lot of the newer tractors and you also might consider adding one ahead of the fuel filter. Check it regularly and drain it when you see water.