L3800 Clutch

rlk4015

Sep 14, 2011
Humble, Texas
Hi to all, I just got a new L3800 with the standard gear transmission. It only has a couple of hours on it but it seems to grind gears and also makes a noise when the clutch is dis-engaged. As soon as you press in the clutch the noise goes away. Just does not seem right. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
makes a noise when the clutch is dis-engaged. As soon as you press in the clutch the noise goes away.
You are kind of saying opposing things, disengaged is pushed in. I would look to the throw-out bearing; but usually they squawk when you push the clutch, but that's not a rule.

Grinding gears? You are only changing gears when at a dead stop right? these are not like cars where you shift when rolling. If you have the clutch fully down to the bottom and the gears grind when switching speeds, and this is brand-new, call the dealer.

rlk4015

Sep 14, 2011
Humble, Texas
You are kind of saying opposing things, disengaged is pushed in. I would look to the throw-out bearing; but usually they squawk when you push the clutch, but that's not a rule.

Grinding gears? You are only changing gears when at a dead stop right? these are not like cars where you shift when rolling. If you have the clutch fully down to the bottom and the gears grind when switching speeds, and this is brand-new, call the dealer.
Sorry for the confusion. This would be with foot off of the clutch.

Yes it even grinds sometimes when putting it into forward or reverse after initial start up. Also when moving from forward to reverse or vise versa.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks for the reply. Do you have the noise when the clutch is dis-engaged or gear grinding?
Yes, I have a kind of rattle noise with the clutch out and it stops when the pedal is pushed in. Been that way since it was brand new. It really bugged me at first but I guess I have grown to ignore it now.

Since the tranny isn't synchronized it does have some gear grinding. If you fully stop then change gears it's not that bad. I have never been able to figure out how to start out from a dead stop in high gear though. I choose to grind just a little instead of burning the clutch out.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yes it even grinds sometimes when putting it into forward or reverse after initial start up. Also when moving from forward to reverse or vise versa.
If it is grinding the first try then shifts OK the second attempt, try pausing a second or two before shifting. This will give the gears a chance to stop spinning.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Yes, I have a kind of rattle noise with the clutch out and it stops when the pedal is pushed in. Been that way since it was brand new. It really bugged me at first but I guess I have grown to ignore it now.
My B7500HSD has the same rattle, I believe it is caused(on my machine) by a slight excess in clearance between the throwout bearing and the clutch fingers allowing the throwout bearing to bounce lightly back and forth off the clutch fingers, I have always been going to adjust it but it is one of the things I just never get around to doing.

My B5100E grinds the gears a bit if I try to put the tractor into any gear if I do not let it idle down and allow the gears in the trans to stop rotating, Probably has something to do with the ligtweight of the oil used in the transmission being also used by the hydraulic pump. A heavier weight oil would slow the movement of the gears in the transmission down a bit.