L3800 Block Drain

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
Hello everyone. Anyone know where the block drain is located on a 2011 L3800 HST? Local dealer was no help as they just drain the radiator and refill according to the service manager I spoke with. Thanks in advance.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I have an L3700 and when I serviced the cooling system I drained the radiator, refilled and ran for a couple of minutes with the drain cock open and a hose in the radiator to flush the block.

Drain again, fill with pre-mix and done. Any small amount of old coolant left in the block is of no concern to me after employing this method.

For an older tractor with a lot of hours and lack of coolant changes, they make flush chemicals to help dissolve the crud but with your relatively new unit, this wouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

jeepfreak1972

Equipment
2011 L3800 HST
Oct 28, 2010
Ravenna, MI
Thank you for the reply. Ive used that idea many times in the past on cars and other tractors. Its a hassle to me. By running a hose in the radiator you are effectively removing all the coolant from the engine leaving only water in the block. Then using a 50/50 mix added to your system, with all the pure water left in the engine from the flushing, you would have coolant mixed to weak. It is a real P.I.T.A. to get the mixture safe for freeze / boil over protection doing it this way in my humble opinion. I know it can be done but it sucks to do if done correctly. When we drained my L3800, using the radiator drain cock, less than 4 quarts drained out. It holds 6 quarts. I think we could have gotten more out if we could have gotten the lower hose off the water pump. that hose is lowest part of the system. My wife was doing the work, as I have disabilities do to multiple spinal fusions, and she could not get the hose off. If there was a block drain most of the coolant would drain out so more than 25% of the original does not stay in. It would be nice if there was an affordable system for a home owner to just pump new coolant in until you know all the old is gone. Like they do at transmission shops to flush. If the trans holds 20 quarts they pump 20 new quarts in and bingo bango all done.