L3750DT 3 point won’t move

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
I just pulled the 4540 backhoe off and installed the 3 point arms, but the hitch won’t lift or lower. I looked at all the linkages and everything looks good, and I tried the draft control knob with no change. The 3 point arms have never been installed before so I’m wondering if the 3pt could have been disabled somehow so it wouldn’t move with the backhoe on?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I just pulled the 4540 backhoe off and installed the 3 point arms, but the hitch won’t lift or lower. I looked at all the linkages and everything looks good, and I tried the draft control knob with no change. The 3 point arms have never been installed before so I’m wondering if the 3pt could have been disabled somehow so it wouldn’t move with the backhoe on?
Is there a hose loop that has to be created when the backhoe is removed. A looping of a hose at the rear. An out connected to an IN via a length of hose.

Dave

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Do you have a loader?

If yes, how many hoses connect to the loader valve...... 6 or 7?

In view of the age of your tractor you may have a hydraulic block which requires turning a small valve to select either the 3 pt of the loader.

Dave

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
So the 4540 hoe has been on the L3750 for most of its life? With it off you'll think its a new, young, agile tractor!

On getting the 3-point to work, its probably not getting hydraulic power. Some dealers didn't plumb the machine to keep 3-point function, thinking the backhoe would stay mounted.

To power the 3-point hitch, the loader valve's "power-beyond" port needs a hose going back to the hydraulic block (where the loader valve is fed). This hose is normally a 7th hose on the valve. If yours only has 6, check the valve body for a plugged port with letters PB, where a hose could be added. If there isn't one, many machines use the loader's return port, although that can allow 3-point and FEL loads to be temporarily in series, not best practice.

I edited this when I noticed your comment that the bh uses a pto pump.

Hope this helps, Dick B.

Last edited:

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
I’ll ch
So the 4540 hoe has been on the L3750 for most of its life? With it off you'll think its a new, young, agile tractor!

On getting the 3-point to work, its probably not getting hydraulic power. Some dealers didn't plumb the machine to keep 3-point function, thinking the backhoe would stay mounted.

To power the 3-point hitch, the loader valve's "power-beyond" port needs a hose going back to the hydraulic block (where the loader valve is fed). This hose is normally a 7th hose on the valve. If yours only has 6, check the valve body for a plugged port with letters PB, where a hose could be added. If there isn't one, many machines use the loader's return port, although that can allow 3-point and FEL loads to be temporarily in series, not best practice.

I edited this when I noticed your comment that the bh uses a pto pump.

Hope this helps, Dick B.
I’ll check on this when I get home, thanks for your suggestion.

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
I’ll ch

I’ll check on this when I get home, thanks for your suggestion.
Do you have a loader?

If yes, how many hoses connect to the loader valve...... 6 or 7?

In view of the age of your tractor you may have a hydraulic block which requires turning a small valve to select either the 3 pt of the loader.

Dave
It’s a bf900 loader with 7 hoses…. I went out and messed with it a little bit today and got it working… kind of. It will lift now but only at full engine speed, if I lower the rpm it lowers the 3 point. I’m wondering if I have a crusty pressure relief valve because it’s whiney when operated, because of that I checked the fluid and it’s full and clean, so I’m not sure where to look next.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you are hearing a pressure relief, wondering if the feedback rod could be out of adjustment after all those years without use?

I know the feedback rod can cause some funky symptoms if out of adjustment.

This is the illustrated parts diagram for your L3750DT.

Screenshot 2021-11-01 182343.png

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
If you are hearing a pressure relief, wondering if the feedback rod could be out of adjustment after all those years without use?

I know the feedback rod can cause some funky symptoms if out of adjustment.

This is the illustrated parts diagram for your L3750DT.

View attachment 68959
I’ll check on that when there’s daylight again, thank you for the reply.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
It’s a bf900 loader with 7 hoses…. I went out and messed with it a little bit today and got it working… kind of. It will lift now but only at full engine speed, if I lower the rpm it lowers the 3 point. I’m wondering if I have a crusty pressure relief valve because it’s whiney when operated, because of that I checked the fluid and it’s full and clean, so I’m not sure where to look next.

Can you clarify a couple of details for me.

When your pto driven backhoe was mounted your loader worked properly?

Were any loader hoses moved, changed or replaced in the process of installing the 3 pt hitch.

In installing the 3 pt hitch, what if anything did you do to the hydraulic system.

RCW has an excellent point re the feedback control.

Dave

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
Can you clarify a couple of details for me.

When your pto driven backhoe was mounted your loader worked properly?

Were any loader hoses moved, changed or replaced in the process of installing the 3 pt hitch.

In installing the 3 pt hitch, what if anything did you do to the hydraulic system.

RCW has an excellent point re the feedback control.

Dave
The loader did and still does work, I didn’t disconnect any hydraulics when installing the arms.

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Here's a page from a workshop manual for 3-pt troubleshooting listing several possibilities.

3 pt troubleshooting.jpg

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Thinking about this a little, its possible the o-ring inside the 3pt cylinder has a leak, causing it to bleed down as fast as it is being fed, except at max engine speed, but leaks down at lower rpm? That's easier to check - without taking the whole assembly under the seat off - just take the round cover off and have a look in there. Good luck, Dick B.

Attachments

Syr_orange

Equipment
L3750DT
Apr 25, 2021
New York
So I went out today and did a little more trouble shooting. What I found was a 90* elbow right off the priority valve has a small drip. This goes directly to the 3 point hydraulics so I’m guessing it’s sucking some air. Too bad because I can’t find the part in stock anywhere and it seems to be on intergalactic backorder. I want to thank everyone for taking the time to aid in getting this working. I’ll update the post if I can get the part.