L35 TLB GST

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi everyone, I am considering purchasing a 23 year old used unit with 400 hours from the original owner that had only been used around his property. When I search "Kubota L35 problems" there are many that have had issues with the glide shift transmission (GST). So many that some feel a recall should have been issued. I have no experience with the GST and also don't possess the time, tools, or temperament to deal with diagnosing/fixing any potentially forthcoming problems. The unit appears to be well taken care of. Should I reconsider based on my findings. Thanks

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Mines a 98 with about 1200hrs and no issue to date. Use oem fluids and filters, and don’t treat it like a rental and the machine will threat you well. The L35 is a beast.

Reactions: 1 users

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs

Hi everyone, I am considering purchasing a 23 year old used unit with 400 hours from the original owner that had only been used around his property. When I search "Kubota L35 problems" there are many that have had issues with the glide shift transmission (GST). So many that some feel a recall should have been issued. I have no experience with the GST and also don't possess the time, tools, or temperament to deal with diagnosing/fixing any potentially forthcoming problems. The unit appears to be well taken care of. Should I reconsider based on my findings. Thanks
Wow, what a find! I think the main problem has been with the hydraulic clutch hub on the early L35's. But there was a guy on here last week with a broken hub on an L39, which came after the L35, so it's still a possibility.

Besides the transmission, you might be concerned with the hoses and cylinder seals. If everything is original, those may be about ready to change. My tractor was about 16 years old when they started going. Mine has over 2000 hours on it and spent a lot of time outside so that accelerated the wear, but there's an age factor also. There's over 30 hoses on the loader and backhoe, so it can nickel and dime you pretty good.

They're sturdy little tractors with some little features the regular Kubotas don't have. But a 23 year old tractor, even with only 400 hours on it, could be a money pit for someone who won't be doing his own repairs.

Reactions: 1 user

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have the bigger brother L48TLB.
Mine is a 2006 and had 251 hours, when I bought it in June of 2019.
I have the HST transmission.

The previous owner kept the machine outside for 13 years, and the hoses are all in very good condition.
I did re-blacken some of the hoses though, because they looked dirty/faded.

My L48 lives in it's own private quarters now, and has been partially repainted.
From comparables, it appears that my L48 may be worth at least $10K more than I paid for it in 2019.

Prior to buying an L48, I owned a 1970 Ford 3400 TLB (manual trans.) that was 49 years old when I sold it.
I bought that when it was 20 years old, and replaced one hose over the next 29 years.

Like many others will tell you.
Use Kubota recommended filters and fluids to be the most conservative.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Wow, what a find! I think the main problem has been with the hydraulic clutch hub on the early L35's. But there was a guy on here last week with a broken hub on an L39, which came after the L35, so it's still a possibility.

Besides the transmission, you might be concerned with the hoses and cylinder seals. If everything is original, those may be about ready to change. My tractor was about 16 years old when they started going. Mine has over 2000 hours on it and spent a lot of time outside so that accelerated the wear, but there's an age factor also. There's over 30 hoses on the loader and backhoe, so it can nickel and dime you pretty good.

They're sturdy little tractors with some little features the regular Kubotas don't have. But a 23 year old tractor, even with only 400 hours on it, could be a money pit for someone who won't be doing his own repairs.
I am capable of replacing hydraulic hoses and taking the cylinders to a shop if need be. How much would it cost to have a hydraulic hose made? My big concern rests with the glide shift transmission, described as both "tricky" and "complicated" in my search. A newer B26 TLB with a hydrostatic transmission
,although less capable, should be enough for my needs and may make more sense.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hi Jimmy, I've been restoring an L35 TLB for about a year. I've turned just about every bolt on it and with some luck, will be running it soon. It sounds like your find was gently used which is a plus for sure. But hoses and seals do go bad with age or damage. Hoses can vary in price (made for you) from $50 to over $100 depending upon the shop, length, fitting used and this nutty economy.

The glide shift seemed clumsy to me at first, but I used it for a few days before I took it apart and it isn't that hard to get used to. You don't need to use the clutch when shifting. Although not an expert, after reading lots of complaints from lots of mechanical things - people don't tell you the whole story all the time.

Additionally rust can happen which will weaken fittings and other things - but that's life eh? A suggestion for you if you buy it is to wash it down carefully and watch for leaks. Leaks are hard to find if everything's covered with dirt/grease and whatever.

Pay attention to the large hydraulic supply pipe just in front of the left rear wheel and follow it all the way through the filter to the side pump and front pump. Then check out the smaller diameter delivery line from the front and right side pumps. Look for damage or leaks. No leaks could mean the axle is empty. Check wiring for damage from critters. Definitely check oil level in the front axle and look for leaks around the wheels/axle. Check all the fuses. CHeck to see the dash is working. Check brakes independently.

If you purchase, you may want to do a service on it, replacing all the hydraulic oil, filters and such. Then go 'round and check adjustments on brakes, and clutch and steering toe. Check all the hydraulics on the BH too. Look for slop in the controls for BH and FEL. Mine had a lot of play but easily resolved with new bushings. Check pins for their ability to accept grease.

Kindly keep us posted on your decision

Reactions: 2 users

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
I have a 2000 L35 TLB with 2600 hrs. Always stored inside. Solid machine. Plan on replacing hoses. I had a local mech replace the BH hoses along with a leaking dippler clyninder recently. I had to replace the metal hyd lines coming out of the tranny to the hyd pump and loader valve a couple years ago due to corrosion (pin hole). All other issues were caused by operator error. Grease it regularly and use good fluids and it will last a long time. Good luck.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought a Kubota with FEL when it was 25 years old with 400 hrs. I’ve had it now 4 years…and none of the hoses or cyls have leaked or appear needful of attention…. so simple age is not a hard rule on hoses and cyls, IMO.
Mouse-eaten wiring…? …that’s another story. :sneaky:

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I am capable of replacing hydraulic hoses and taking the cylinders to a shop if need be. How much would it cost to have a hydraulic hose made? My big concern rests with the glide shift transmission, described as both "tricky" and "complicated" in my search. A newer B26 TLB with a hydrostatic transmission
If you're in the market for a used TLB, I'd jump on that L35. Low-time equipment doesn't come up everyday, and it sounds real close to what you want. It's not that much bigger than the B26, and B26's don't seem to be as prevalent (based on posts here).

Hose cost/availability is a local issue. They're not terribly expensive or, with a few exceptions, complicated to do. I should have ordered and replaced them before failure. The exception is the backhoe. There are six hoses that run through the 'shoulder' joint, between boom cylinder rod end and the frame. The best way to replace one is to disconnect the rod. In my case, I should have replaced all six hoses and repacked the boom cylinder at one time (the second time I did).

Nicksacco brought up several good points. Regarding the suction line, there are several short hose sections in there that can leak, causing shifting and other issues. They're not complicated.

The clutch, even if a problem, would be a one-time event. And a hydrostatic transmission, if it goes out, is a very expensive proposition. If this L35 checks out and the price is right, I'd go for.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
L35 has 10 more HP than a B26.
That is a 40% HP advantage.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If you're in the market for a used TLB, I'd jump on that L35. Low-time equipment doesn't come up everyday, and it sounds real close to what you want. It's not that much bigger than the B26, and B26's don't seem to be as prevalent (based on posts here).

Hose cost/availability is a local issue. They're not terribly expensive or, with a few exceptions, complicated to do. I should have ordered and replaced them before failure. The exception is the backhoe. There are six hoses that run through the 'shoulder' joint, between boom cylinder rod end and the frame. The best way to replace one is to disconnect the rod. In my case, I should have replaced all six hoses and repacked the boom cylinder at one time (the second time I did).

Nicksacco brought up several good points. Regarding the suction line, there are several short hose sections in there that can leak, causing shifting and other issues. They're not complicated.

The clutch, even if a problem, would be a one-time event. And a hydrostatic transmission, if it goes out, is a very expensive proposition. If this L35 checks out and the price is right, I'd go for.
Apparently most of the hoses have been replaced over the last few years. Thats good news. I am undecided. Thanks for your commentary.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a 2000 L35 TLB with 2600 hrs. Always stored inside. Solid machine. Plan on replacing hoses. I had a local mech replace the BH hoses along with a leaking dippler clyninder recently. I had to replace the metal hyd lines coming out of the tranny to the hyd pump and loader valve a couple years ago due to corrosion (pin hole). All other issues were caused by operator error. Grease it regularly and use good fluids and it will last a long time. Good luck.
What did all of that cost if I may be so bold to ask?

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa

These have the glide shift transmission.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
But the B26 has hydrostat. I was trying to say it has a potential large cost item, also.
I can get a 4 year old B26 with the latest options or the 23 year old larger L35 for close to the same price. Its a value judgment. Newer is usually but not always better.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I can get a 4 year old B26 with the latest options or the 23 year old larger L35 for close to the same price. Its a value judgment. Newer is usually but not always better.
Decisions, decisions.

For loader work, the hydrostat would be nice. According to tractordata, the B26 comes with SSQA. That would be nice. Does either have hydraulic thumb? Third function?

rScotty

Equipment
Kubota M59, JD530, Deere 310SG
Aug 19, 2010
Colorado Mountains
THe Glideshift never was popular. It should have been. Nice simple reliable power shift transmission.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Decisions, decisions.

For loader work, the hydrostat would be nice. According to tractordata, the B26 comes with SSQA. That would be nice. Does either have hydraulic thumb? Third function?
The B26 has all three. A big advantage. On YouTube there are examples of the B26 moving large rocks and clearing trees. Very impressive and plenty capable for my basic farm maintenance weekend warrior needs. The price/value/need conundrum prevents my acting. I was not familiar with the Kubota TLB offerings until recently. They are not cheap that's for sure.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The B26 has all three. A big advantage. On YouTube there are examples of the B26 moving large rocks and clearing trees. Very impressive and plenty capable for my basic farm maintenance weekend warrior needs. The price/value/need conundrum prevents my acting. I was not familiar with the Kubota TLB offerings until recently. They are not cheap that's for sure.
Yep.....
"they are not cheap"
Yet.....my very low hour 2006 L48 TLB is currently valued the same as original cost..... 16 years earlier.