L35 steering transmission issue

boatsalesman

Equipment
Kubota Bx2200 & L35
Nov 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
1st post! I’ve referenced the site many times over the years and it’s very helpful. Thanks to everyone that contributes.

want to make sure I’m on the right track here, I’ve read other post with the same issue and believe I have a bad seal in the GST or the “snap ring” issue

tractor is a 2002 l35 with 4000 hrs, I just purchased this week as a winter project.

symptoms are: it will move slightly in forward and reverse (more so in 5th gear) but if it meets ANY resistance it stops. The power steering works until you put it in Forward or Reverse (I’m aware the forward pump works these two systems)

After reading a couple posts I figured I’d try the “Cheapest fix” and replaced the suction line o-rings and rubber couplers but didn’t help, i also put fresh udt2 and filters on (not so cheap, lol)

I’ve also verified the pto works.

it’s also worth noting the hydro fluid was black when I drained it but can’t really say it smelled burnt in any case it Definitely did not look healthy.

next steps, I think I will invest in a hydraulic pressure test kit and try to figure out the testing process, I did purchase the wsa so that should help.

Attachments

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Hey Boat,
Here are a couple of thoughts besides your checking for pressure:

It almost sounds like there isn't enough hydraulic oil in the tractor, or the gear linkage is not shifting correctly.
So...if the pump is not pumping, or low volume, or there is a blockage of some kind, that might explain the (not enough oil) behaviour. My assumption is that the hydro oil is at the correct level after the oil change.

Not actually being in gear could be an issue.
The gear shift is a 2 cable system and possibly a cable could be broken or they could be out of alignment.
I did a post on replacing a broken cable HERE

The old hydro being black is concerning and I suppose there are many reasons why that could happen. Some perhaps unrelated to movement of the machine. In either case changing it was wise since you don't know much about the machine's history.

Could one or more brakes be locked up? That would certainly cause a lot of heat and burn up the hydro oil.

What about the manual clutch? Have you been able to ensure it's ok and working? Do the FEL and BH hydraulics work?

HERE is another L35 article - maybe you already saw this??

Another thought is that if you suspect the gear shift linkage, you can easily remove the shift cover on the transmission (3-6mm bolts) and shift using a wrench or something manually. That's a quick check to verify the transmission is being shifted correctly

Reactions: 1 user

boatsalesman

Equipment
Kubota Bx2200 & L35
Nov 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
All good info Nick, thanks.

the BH and FL work fine and are really strong. Currently they are holding the tractor off the ground.

When I purchased it the guy actually drove the machine to my trailer about 100yrds but as soon as it hit the trailer it stopped and I pulled it on with the winch…During inspection (pre-purchase) I verified it would somewhat move (F & R) the 4wd worked and FL/BH functioned. what I didn’t notice was the steering loss once it was but in gear. honestly, I thought the power steering was working sporadically.

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
All good info Nick, thanks.

the BH and FL work fine and are really strong. Currently they are holding the tractor off the ground.

When I purchased it the guy actually drove the machine to my trailer about 100yrds but as soon as it hit the trailer it stopped and I pulled it on with the winch…During inspection (pre-purchase) I verified it would somewhat move (F & R) the 4wd worked and FL/BH functioned. what I didn’t notice was the steering loss once it was but in gear. honestly, I thought the power steering was working sporadically.

Cool.
I'm curious as to what you learn with hydraulic testing and whatnot...

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
What part failed there, boatsalesman?

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Oh Ouch!
I wonder what it takes to break that @boatsalesman ?
So I take it, you split the tractor after all other investigations failed.
I'd be curious to see any pics you might have of the splitting - both sides if possible.
I'm hoping you are inside a clean facility for this work.

I'm actually surprised that the darn thing moved at all eh?

boatsalesman

Equipment
Kubota Bx2200 & L35
Nov 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
B0CCC15C-FA07-4E1C-B697-9619B695FAEB.jpeg

this is the only one I currently have, I’ll snap a few more tonight.. waiting on parts now, so spent yesterday chasing threads and cleaning up mating surfaces.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
View attachment 71101
My best guess is the snap ring (170) went 1st and it was down hill from there…
View attachment 71130
this is the only one I currently have, I’ll snap a few more tonight.. waiting on parts now, so spent yesterday chasing threads and cleaning up mating surfaces.
Well at least it was a straightforward problem.

I have a B7200DT transmission teardown scheduled for this off season and I am not looking forward to it. My knuckles started bleeding just looking at that picture. 🙄

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
What a mess, I hope I never need to split mine! I’d do it in my shop and have the wsm it just ultimately seems like a lot of nuts nd bolts more than Anything.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Dang, if you weren't so far away, I'd run mine over and let you tackle the backhoe swing bushings. pins, cylinders, and hoses. Wouldn't want you to run out of winter projects.
I don't know what your plans for it are, but I think you'll find it to be a tough little machine when you get through.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Dang, if you weren't so far away, I'd run mine over and let you tackle the backhoe swing bushings. pins, cylinders, and hoses. Wouldn't want you to run out of winter projects.
I don't know what your plans for it are, but I think you'll find it to be a tough little machine when you get through.
" I don't know what your plans are, but I think you will find it to be a tough little machine when you get through"
AGREED!
I have it's bigger brother (L48 TLB), and it is an excellent piece of machinery!

boatsalesman

Equipment
Kubota Bx2200 & L35
Nov 13, 2021
Southern New Jersey
Haha!
Honestly, I think the machine is going to be overkill for what I’ll use it for, i'll use it for a year or two, if it turns out to be to big, I'll just flip it.. I had a BX2200 that I just sold, it was the prefect size but was older and had been used commercially for a long time, the loader was whooped....I'm always on the lookout for the "next Project", this popped up at a “reasonable” price. Once I get this back together I still need to address the following.

1) repair/replace Egged out Spindle (Tie rod end)

2) Replace bushing for steering ram

3 )Leaking Dipper cylinder on the hoe (already resealed stabilizers)

4) misc. leaking fittings on the hoe need to be addressed

5) right side rear rim cracked and was poorly repaired, my guess is the axle will need to be re-tapped and new lug nuts installed (at a minimum.

6) Front Left tire leaking (hopefully a quick fix lol)

Last edited:

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
A-Mazing!
My shop is big enough for my motorcycle work. All of my L35 work has been outside or in my barn. A terrible place to work!
Your shop looks fantastic!
Thank you for sending the pics. The machine looks very clean also!

Nicksacco

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB
Sep 15, 2021
Bahama, NC
Outstanding!
That land-boat will do you well!
I'll bet you were excited to start it and hear it run after such a project!