L35 BT900 backhoe hose routing

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I popped a hose while using the hoe yesterday, and was remembering what a task it is to snake hoses through the sleeve in the factory location. I usually undo the booms pin to allow enough room to work the hose through. Has anyone relocated to hose sleeve to outside of that tight spot to make hose repairs easier in the future? I’m going to look at it when I get some time to see if it’s even possible but figured I’d ask as not to re invent the wheel.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I popped a hose while using the hoe yesterday, and was remembering what a task it is to snake hoses through the sleeve in the factory location. I usually undo the booms pin to allow enough room to work the hose through. Has anyone relocated to hose sleeve to outside of that tight spot to make hose repairs easier in the future? I’m going to look at it when I get some time to see if it’s even possibl e but figured I’d ask as not to re invent the wheel.
I dunno L, I'd leave it as is. The first time I swapped the hose through the sleeve and joint in place. This is NOT the best way! The next time, I stretched the boom and dipper out straight on the ground. Remove the lower boom cylinder pin. Disconnect all 6 hoses at the valve (mark them with engraver or metal stamp first - permanent marker ain't). If you don't want to do this 6 times do them all at once. :confused:

I'm still trying to figure out how the guy who sold me this L35 knew the backhoe was barely holding on! It wasn't leaking a drop when I bought it and in one year I've repacked 3 cylinders and replaced at least 10 hoses (not all of them burst but I figured if its mate went, it wasn't far behind).

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
I dunno L, I'd leave it as is. The first time I swapped the hose through the sleeve and joint in place. This is NOT the best way! The next time, I stretched the boom and dipper out straight on the ground. Remove the lower boom cylinder pin. Disconnect all 6 hoses at the valve (mark them with engraver or metal stamp first - permanent marker ain't). If you don't want to do this 6 times do them all at once. :confused:

I'm still trying to figure out how the guy who sold me this L35 knew the backhoe was barely holding on! It wasn't leaking a drop when I bought it and in one year I've repacked 3 cylinders and replaced at least 10 hoses (not all of them burst but I figured if its mate went, it wasn't far behind).
they are all at that age where if they haven’t gone they are going to soon. My 98 still has some originals left the rubber coating is broken down due to age and the wire is showing through, and that even rusted. That is the top one on the FEL stack of hoses I look at it in amazement all the time wondering when it’s day is going to come. That one will take minutes to swap so I don’t sweat it at all. I think I have 2-3 left in the ‘hoe that are original. I have been through all the cylinders like you have.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
they are all at that age where if they haven’t gone they are going to soon. My 98 still has some originals left the rubber coating is broken down due to age and the wire is showing through, and that even rusted. That is the top one on the FEL stack of hoses I look at it in amazement all the time wondering when it’s day is going to come. That one will take minutes to swap so I don’t sweat it at all. I think I have 2-3 left in the ‘hoe that are original. I have been through all the cylinders like you have.
Mine's supposed to be an 03 or 04 so I think they were original. I haven't had to do anything on the FEL. I think the hoses and lift cylinders have been replaced. Have you had to work on the swing? So far I haven't but the bushings need replacing. I'm trying to work up to it.

L35

Equipment
Jun 13, 2010
CT
Mine's supposed to be an 03 or 04 so I think they were original. I haven't had to do anything on the FEL. I think the hoses and lift cylinders have been replaced. Have you had to work on the swing? So far I haven't but the bushings need replacing. I'm trying to work up to it.
I rebuilt the cylinders on both. Hoses are hanging on so far. Not a bad job from what I remember it was several years ago.