L3400 turns over strong but will not start

Roques

Equipment
Kubota L3400
Mar 14, 2021
Virginia
Tractor was working fine in the field then suddenly died. Turns overs strong, but will not start. I have done some initial research and I have noticed there is no click when initially turning the key to start. I guess this is supposed to be the engagement of the fuel solenoid. Any advice? I have seen some suggest removing the solenoid to see if it starts without it. Others suggest testing it.
Not an experienced mechanic, but willing to try.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Try removing the fuel line at the fuel tank or fuel filter to see if you get a good steady flow of fuel. Sometimes there is a blockage inside the tank preventing fuel from exiting. It's also possible your fuel filter itself is blocking the flow. Once in awhile even new ones are defective. Always start with the basics. If there's no fuel to the solenoid there won't be any fuel past it either.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Tractor was working fine in the field then suddenly died. Turns overs strong, but will not start. I have done some initial research and I have noticed there is no click when initially turning the key to start. I guess this is supposed to be the engagement of the fuel solenoid. Any advice? I have seen some suggest removing the solenoid to see if it starts without it. Others suggest testing it.
Hey Roadworthy,

Not sure how the fuel system is made on that model, but a diesel needs compression,timing and fuel to run.

So if it was running strong then died did it make any unusual noises when it died, or did it just stop running, if that is the case then you have a fuel system issue.

I just did a big write up on trouble shooting the fuel system, here:

https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/injector-pump.57605/#post-548962

Follow that guide and you should find the problem in short order.

Cheers
Samantha

saxon

Equipment
B1550, BX2230, G2160
Sep 29, 2011
Pelzer, SC
Seems like you really should hear the click sound when turning the key. The click sound is the solenoid pulling in to allow fuel flow.

Reactions: 1 user

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Your tractor may have a two solenoid fuel shut off. Check to see if there are two wires going to the solenoid which is located on the injector pump (IP). One solenoid is the "pull in solenoid" which pulls the fuel valve open then eventually is de-powered. The other solenoid is the "hold solenoid" and it holds the fuel valve open until you shut off the key switch. Since you engine shut down while after it was running and you did not hear the solenoid click when you tried to re-start, I'd be suspicious of a loss of power to the fuel solenoid. Could be a loose wire, bad key switch, an interlock switch not closing, etc or a failure of the solenoid itself.

Reactions: 1 user

Little Jim

Equipment
L3400DT W/LA463..
May 20, 2022
Houston Texas

Little Jim

Equipment
L3400DT W/LA463..
May 20, 2022
Houston Texas
If you are familiar with a VOM check the voltage going to the stop solenoid. Ghe connection to the solenoid hoes bad through tough use. If you are not getting the click when you turn the key it is not getting fuel. If not the wiring and plug replace the stop solenoid. Been there did the run around replacement until I got lucky. Good luck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

Last edited: