L3400 or L3800 which do I buy

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Provided a tractor doesn't sell out from underneath me, I currently have 3 choices for a used tractor.

1) 2008 L2800 664 hours $14,000 hydro
2) 2011 L3400 190 hours $16,500 gear (with rotary mower and dirt blade)
3) 2011 L3800 525 hours $13,000 gear (Scratched/wore paint)

I've pretty much ruled out the L2800 simply because of its smaller hp. Its probably a cleaner tractor than the L3800 which is scratched according to the dealer. I am still waiting on better pictures from everyone.

So looking only at the L3400 and the L3800 which is a better tractor. Both claim to be a 2011. I'm not sure if they made both in that year or what, but its clear the L3800 is the newer body style. From my research both have the same size engine. So here are my basic questions and concerns:

1) I understand the L3800 has an electronic dash. Is this a pro or con? I'd prefer fewer computers controlling things. I want the most reliable and trouble free. Is the electronic dash more reliable in that their are not cables to break or is it just another electronic piece of equipment to potentially cause headaches.

2) Does anyone know how they squeezed out the extra hp on the L3800? Is there more computer controlling going on or something else. How much stuff is computer controlled on each model.

3) They both have loaders. Any benefits of the LA463 v LA524.

4) Are there any real advantages or disadvantages of one over the other?

5) The LA3400 recently had the clutch burned up. The owner said he is going to have a friend fix it who has a shop. He is a certified mechanic, but I believe only an auto mechanic. Is their anything special about the Kubota clutch or could a decent auto mechanic handle this repair. Should this cause concern?

I think the price of the tractors reflects their condition. The L3400 also has a couple attachments like a rotary mower (which I don't really need) and a dirt blade and quick attach 3pt. With this information would you guys be greatly swayed to one over the other?

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
The L3400 was the earlier model for the L3800. The L3400 was manufactured from 2004-2010 and the L3800 was from 2011-. Scratches doesn't mean much but how was it maintained and was it garaged or kept outside.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
somebody aint telling you the whole truth....

Mickeyd brings up some good points:

L3400 was made for 7 years .......04-10
Approx 36 HP 30 @ the PTO

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/001/8/5/1857-kubota-l3400.html

the L3800 was started in '11............
is has a little more HP , new style , very similar in overall specs

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/006/7/8/6784-kubota-l3800.html

I too agree with Mickey on the condition........scratches and paint are something that will come with time, bad maintenance is something past time cannot fix!

I would bargain on the L3800.....make him a cash deal that he cannot refuse! 3500+ will go a long way on the scratches and faded paint !! :)

Look at the buckets carefully - either the QC? The LA524 is I believe .....

some info on the loaders :

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-buying-pricing/248322-loaders-l3200-l3800-la-463-a.html

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Thanks guys, I'm dealing on the L3800 now. It is pretty scratched up in the cockpit. Particularity by the 3pt lever. I can't imagine why its so scratched up there. Its looks like the lever was rubbing the side of the fender. I don't know how that would be possible. Maybe he had gloves with rivits on the side or something attached there I don't know. Its scratched really bad along there though. I'd say 50% of the paint is scratched off. Also the floor boards have the paint almost all wore off.

Looking at the faded paint on the loader and how the hi-low range shifter appears melted and weathered, I'd say the tractor was stored outside. It does give me concern as to how well it was cared for. Any thoughts? Thanks

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
I talked with the previous owner on the L3800. He was original owner.

The tractor was stored outside. Is that a big issue?

The scratches on the fender are from hydraulice hoses from a 3pt snowblower to the loader valves to turn the chute.

He said he ran the tractor around 2500rpm when blowing snow and mowing. It also did cultivating and dirt work.

He said he changed oil at 50 hours and then again around 350. Which seemed like a long span to me. I asked if it was change at least once a year and he said that was about right. But I don't know if it really was or if it was just changed those 2 times.

The guy said it was a good tractor and he traded it in on a bigger tractor. I sounds good to me. Should I be concerned about anything from what I just said above.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

The scratches on the fender are from hydraulice hoses from a 3pt snowblower to the loader valves to turn the chute.

He said he ran the tractor around 2500rpm when blowing snow and mowing. It also did cultivating and dirt work.

He said he changed oil at 50 hours and then again around 350. Which seemed like a long span to me. I asked if it was change at least once a year and he said that was about right. But I don't know if it really was or if it was just changed those 2 times.

The guy said it was a good tractor and he traded it in on a bigger tractor. I sounds good to me. Should I be concerned about anything from what I just said above.

Tractors were really made to be stored outside - yeah I know, we all park ours inside - some of us get to have them heated and cooled:D:p

I would work with the dealer and get them to knock off as much as possible.....hell I put a dime size dent in my hood inside the first 2 hours of ownership!!!!! I know you want to buy something that looks perfect, but most if not all tractors with couple 100 hours on them gonna have a few dings and bruises!!!! :)

Ask the old owner WHAT he got for it on trade.......I bet it was closer to 10k ....and then press them to deal. Cash in hand make a hugggge difference when dealing.......

Did you check on the buckets???

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Tractors were really made to be stored outside - yeah I know, we all park ours inside - some of us get to have them heated and cooled:D:p

I would work with the dealer and get them to knock off as much as possible.....hell I put a dime size dent in my hood inside the first 2 hours of ownership!!!!! I know you want to buy something that looks perfect, but most if not all tractors with couple 100 hours on them gonna have a few dings and bruises!!!! :)

Ask the old owner WHAT he got for it on trade.......I bet it was closer to 10k ....and then press them to deal. Cash in hand make a hugggge difference when dealing.......

Did you check on the buckets???
Thanks for the advice. Its all good advice. If I was closer to the dealer I would have gone there with cash in hand and worked a deal. As it is we made a verbal agreement over the phone for $12,900. He wasn't moving any more. He had lots of calls on the tractor and would just go to the next one in line. So it will be mine tomorrow.

I found out the scratches on the fender are from a 3pt snowblower that used the loader hydraulics to turn the chute. So all the scratches are from normal wear as far as I can tell. I think I got a good deal. It doesn't have the the R4 tires I wanted, but I'll see how bad these tear things up. Thanks for all the help.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri

The paint on the floorboard of my L3800 is almost gone and it has less than 200 hrs. Not an issue. Being stored outside is also a non-issue.

The oil changes also wouldn't bother me. My brother takes care of our old L3750 and the engine oil has only been changed twice in almost 15 years. Hydro oil only once.

Just get it as cheap as possible, use these issues to bargain with.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Thanks for the advice. Its all good advice. If I was closer to the dealer I would have gone there with cash in hand and worked a deal. As it is we made a verbal agreement over the phone for $12,900. He wasn't moving any more. He had lots of calls on the tractor and would just go to the next one in line. So it will be mine tomorrow.

I found out the scratches on the fender are from a 3pt snowblower that used the loader hydraulics to turn the chute. So all the scratches are from normal wear as far as I can tell. I think I got a good deal. It doesn't have the the R4 tires I wanted, but I'll see how bad these tear things up. Thanks for all the help.
That was quick! Congrats!

I prefer the ag tires over R4's. Extra traction is better than no traction around here.:cool:

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
That was quick! Congrats!

I prefer the ag tires over R4's. Extra traction is better than no traction around here.:cool:
Yeah, they go really quick around here so I jumped pretty quick when I found what I wanted.

As you saw in my other thread I've been doing a lot of research lately to get up to speed on things. After all my looking this was pretty much the tractor I was looking for. No emissions garbage. Its the right physical size and the right hp size, and the price is just a little higher than I wanted to spend. I would have preferred the R4 tires simply to save the grass a little. But I'll see how it goes. It may not be a big deal. I was torn on the hydro vs manual. SO not a big deal there eiether.

Thanks

Fargo

Jun 22, 2015
Kindred, ND
Well, I picked up my L3800 this weekend. The tractor had a few more dents and scratches than I saw in the photos. So its rougher than I wanted, but I still felt comfortable about the mechanicals after talking with the original owner. If was a farm tractor that got used. I'm sure if I looked long enough I could have found a pristine example, but the way I see it those dents and scratches saved me $3000.

I used it for a couple hours over the weekend and things seem to work ok. Now I need to do a good cleaning and change the oil and filters.

Thanks for the help.