L335SS issues

David-in-OK

Equipment
L355SS, brush hog, box blade
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
My L355SS year about 1995: It is getting extremely hard to shift the PTO to engage. I had to get off the tractor and slam it to get it to engage. Thoughts or Ideas?

Other problem, the Draft control lever falls when I use the 3-point. Had to clamp something Infront of it to keep it in place.

I don’t think I have enough hydraulic pressure also. Bucket doesn’t lift much and spike wouldn’t angle up on a bale of hay (the 3 point did lift it though).

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Treat the pto mechanism on that tractor gently - I'm told the parts are no longer made.

The draft control lever has a 17mm jam nut that can be tightened a bit so it stays where you put it.

The L355 has a dual clutch (drive wheels and pto - but they are not independently adjustable.

On why its hard to engage, (grinding?) the main clutch may be out of adjustment. Does it go in ok if the engine is off? Try adjusting the pedal so it goes a little farther down, fully disengaging the pto clutch.

As the main clutch wears, people adjust the pedal so the tractor drives well when fully up. But with too much adjustment, the pto may stop fully disengaging when the pedal is all the way down.

Many owners either shift the pto only with the engine off, or do a clutch job, or sell the machine. Splitting to replace just the travel clutch fixes it and is not a huge job.

Low hydraulic output is more involved - Do a search here and at TractorByNet for more discussions on that. The shuttle on your L355ss has a priority valve that may need attention, or your main pump may be worn, or leaking internally. Take care, Dick B.

Last edited:

David-in-OK

Equipment
L355SS, brush hog, box blade
Aug 2, 2020
Oklahoma
Treat the pto mechanism on that tractor gently - I'm told the parts are no longer made.

The draft control lever has a 17mm jam nut that can be tightened a bit so it stays where you put it.

The L355 has a dual clutch (drive wheels and pto - but they are not independently adjustable.

On why its hard to engage, (grinding?) the main clutch may be out of adjustment. Does it go in ok if the engine is off? Try adjusting the pedal so it goes a little farther down, fully disengaging the pto clutch.

As the main clutch wears, people adjust the pedal so the tractor drives well when fully up. But with too much adjustment, the pto may stop fully disengaging when the pedal is all the way down.

Many owners either shift the pto only with the engine off, or do a clutch job, or sell the machine. Splitting to replace just the travel clutch fixes it and is not a huge job.

Low hydraulic output is more involved - Do a search here and at TractorByNet for more discussions on that. The shuttle on your L355ss has a priority valve that may need attention, or your main pump may be worn, or leaking internally. Take care, Dick B.
Thanks,

Ill try some of these ideas. I know about splitting, I had a bearing that broke in the clutches that let all the oil get by, let oil by, tractor wouldn’t move. Couple hundred in parts, several thousand in labor.