L3301

DD214

Equipment
Jun 16, 2022
Louisiana
First time poster, I tried looking for a thread similar to my situation and was unable to find anything. Called my local dealer and they where not helpful as well. I have a l3301 with r4 tires and what I am wanting to do is get a wider tire put onto the tractor while not losing all off road traction. After spended the majority of the day trying to find a solution the only thing I could come up with was a 18.4 16.1. I wanted to check and make sure this is possible to put on I understand that I will also have to change the front tires as well due to the diameter changing in the back. I was figuring I would need a tire roughly 30inches in diameter on the front to compensate for the increased diameter on the rear.

I was hoping for some input. Without being long winded I work for a sugarmill, using a larger tractor during harvest season is not in any way an option due to having to drive under bagasse belts and carriers. The reason for needing a wider tire and not wider stance is due to the way the bagasse acts while dry and in a fluffy state and also how it acts being driven on while wet and packed. The job can be accomplished without more rubber on the ground but adding more rubber to the ground would make a world of difference when it comes to being safe and lowering the time it takes to get the job done.

In closing I guess turf tires could be an option, but there are times the guys have to clean along the bayou and when they do and it has rained it becomes a nightmare of a mess with mud and sliding. Long story short I'm looking to put more meat on the ground, what are my options? Modifying fenders or other parts of the tractor are on the table as well if needed. If it helps the tractor is a 2016 with right around 1k hours and is kept in tip top shape. Last last but not least putting duals would be an option but I have seen how adamant kubota is about saying no to duals. I am not even sure where to hunt a kit down to go the dual route.

DD214

Equipment
Jun 16, 2022
Louisiana

Something like this?
OK so you may be onto something. It looks like the 42x25x20 would work. Question is what do I do for the front end? I'm sure I would have to get spacers but something tells me those tires would float right across the top of the bagasse. Heck they would have an easy time going up the "mountain" of bagasse we have out back when needed. I forgot to mention we use a l525 loader with bucket, pallet forks, and a custom small bucket for clearing a few tight spots. During harvest we run a Buffalo turbine blower on the back as well Or attach a custom made ballast box when needed. Needless to say you have given me a better option to think on Thanks for the reply, I just need to figure out front end size and I think we will be good.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
If your primary concern is traction you could possibly consider adding weight. You could fill your tires wit beet juice to increase traction and keep the original size tires. Getting wider tires may defeat the purpose of gaining traction.

Reactions: 1 user

DD214

Equipment
Jun 16, 2022
Louisiana
If your primary concern is traction you could possibly consider adding weight. You could fill your tires wit beet juice to increase traction and keep the original size tires. Getting wider tires may defeat the purpose of gaining traction.
Sadly traction is not the issue, traction would be easy to fix. Our harvest crews run beet juice in the larger tractors. It's a matter of sinking when the bagasse gets wet you pretty much sink and it becomes a pain to navigate its hard to explain, without a doubt wide tires would be key or duals. The tires linked will work perfect for the back I just need to find something that would keep the ratio the same for the front. On the flip side when the bagasse has not been packed yet and is fluffy it makes riding on an event. Only other option I could think of would be to pick some older model tractor that's the same size that it is OK to put dual wheels on. To say the least it's a unique application for a unique job that needs done.

Then again mattracks would be an option but the GM would have a heart attack considering you can buy another compact for the price of the tracks. I say that but thinking about it bagasse would prolly ruin the road wheels fairly quick.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Have you looked at the R14 tires that they now have for the L3301?