L3301 project to fight off cabin fever

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Been wanting front and rear LED worklights , horn and rear accessory jack to plug in sprayers. Decided to build a control panel take care of all at once.

Tried to make it look as OEM as possible by essentially extending the range selector plate. Designed to use all existing fasteners so I wouldn't have to drill holes in my new tractor and possibly affect warranty.

Fabricated the control box out of 16 gauge plate. Used 5/16 rod to make the ROPS u-bolts and 1/4 plate on the brackets for mounting the lights. Painted everything gray and sheathed the u-bolts with vinyl hose so they won't scratch the ROPS paint.

Surprisingly, when done, everything works! The spst accessory switch turns my sprayer jack on and off, the momentary horn switch...well...honks the horn, and the spdt work light switch turns on the front work lights when pressed forward and turns on the rear work lights when pressed to the rear position, center is off.

The LEDs are incredible. Since the tractor headlights are blocked by the FEL and the factory rear worklight was a big disappointment, this is a huge improvement. Pictures don't do them justice,turns night into day.

Only bummer is now I have to come up with another project.:D

Attachments

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Only bummer is now I have to come up with another project.:D
Well, I suppose you won't be heading to Florida now, but when you do, give me a heads-up and I'll have my stick-welder running, and some sheet metal on hand.

Now, to your dilemma of a new project: work with this design a few weeks to let improvements percolate, then create your Mod II and sell your original to me!

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Thanks for the compliments guys. I had to pull the tractor out of the barn tonight to try the new lights. It was too foggy last night.

Here's a couple more pictures. First one is OEM headlights. Second one is my new ROPS mounted LED light.

Just for reference, the tree is about 45 feet away and the telephone pole with the transformer is about 140 feet away. Amazing difference! The LED is so bright that my camera actually dimmed the picture automatically. There is a woods beyond the telephone poles that I could see fine while on the tractor but is hard to make out in the picture.

Shaunblake, there is always room for improvement;)

Attachments

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Nice! what kind of LED's did you use? and where did you get them from?

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Nice! what kind of LED's did you use? and where did you get them from?
Thanks, the LEDs are from a company called Kawell. My forward facing one is a 72 watt flood/spot combo (same wattage as the factory headlights). The two rear ones are 30 watt floods. I found them on Amazon. Prices were $60 and $26 each respectively. Thought I would go the inexpensive route until I decided if I liked them.

Now that they are on, I can't imagine that the high dollar ones would do any better. These seem well built and are waterproof...yes, I tested them before installing. About 20 minutes in a five gallon bucket of water.:eek:

philztoy

Equipment
L3830, IH695, Deere 4720Cab 3720Cab 4320 4200 450C 790, R Z and Jetstar Molines
Dec 1, 2014
Michigan
Thanks, the LEDs are from a company called Kawell. My forward facing one is a 72 watt flood/spot combo (same wattage as the factory headlights). The two rear ones are 30 watt floods. I found them on Amazon. Prices were $60 and $26 each respectively. Thought I would go the inexpensive route until I decided if I liked them.

Now that they are on, I can't imagine that the high dollar ones would do any better. These seem well built and are waterproof...yes, I tested them before installing. About 20 minutes in a five gallon bucket of water.:eek:
Thanks! Those look like a nice upgrade.

TopesRule

Equipment
L4060 HSTCC
Mar 1, 2015
New Brunswick
That looks very good. Would you take a picture of it in the day time on the tractor? I'd like to do something like that. It looks like it really lights things up.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
That looks very good. Would you take a picture of it in the day time on the tractor? I'd like to do something like that. It looks like it really lights things up.
Here you go.

Realized I forgot to take a night picture of the rear LEDs. I switched out the backhoe for the box blade today but, believe me, they work as well as the front. They light up the full swing arc of the hoe.

Attachments

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Great job!
apeckham, I knew your handle sounded familiar the other day. Just searched your posts and figured out why. It is you that I owe a "thank you" to for the idea of the switch box location.

When I decided to do this, I remembered seeing your install but my search skills are next to nil and I couldn't find your post again. Maybe because I was searching L3301 and L3901.

Anyhow, great job back at you and thanks again for getting the wheels turning. Love how the switches are easily reached yet out of harms way.:)