L3200 Steering Problem

dhager53

Equipment
L3200
Nov 8, 2012
cascade, wi
New L3200 steering does not turn the wheels right or left when stopped with a load on the front bucket. Also experiencing this problem while slowly moving through soft ground. Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas/solutions?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I believe yours is like my L3000 and has steering assist not hydrostatic steering. Long story short it's manual steering with power assist so it's not as strong as the other type. It can be a PIA but I always looked at it this way, it's better than plain manual steering ever thought about.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
Are you using the recommended counter weight on the 3 point? If not, then there is definatly going to be more weight transfer to the front axle, and by extension the steering ram when turning.

Just like your hydralics on the loader will only lift so much in the verical axis, the power steering hydralics (same exact principle) will only move so much weight in the horizontal axis.

I have noted this heaviness on my own L3200 at max lifts... and I am using a 500lb counter weight rather than the recommended 1000lb counter weight (I already had the BX / B series sand box) but I do have filled rears, which help with tipping, but do not remove weight from the front axle like a larger (recommeded 1000lb) counter weight would do.

David

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
As above, it is power assist. I first noticed it last winter in damp snow - if I stopped and jumped off the tractor to adjust the rear blade, when I got back on sometimes the steering seemed frozen. As soon as I started to move the least amount, it was fine. I found the same this summer with a load of dirt in the front end, even with 400 lbs rear ballast.
What I really like about the steering is that it eliminates field clump feedback - the L185 used to try to break my wrists. And as soon as you are moving, it is terrific. I don't complain.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
400 lbs ballast is proabaly not near enough, but it does help and is a good start. Kubota recommends a 1000 lb ballest box for loader use. If also have filled tires / wheel weights that would also help with the tipping. I have found with 500lbs (plus two 60lb bags, if I have extras of sand, set on top of the ballast box, or about 620lbs), it is still not enough and far from optimum.

And yes, with filled tires and that 500+ lb ballest box, I have stood my L3200 up on its front wheels on occasion. So I know Kubota is not out to lunch so to speak on there recomendations.

I only use my L3200 in loader and dirt work so all of my time is such. Which is why I choose the L3200 over the L3800 in my case, horsepower in never the issue, traction is, and both tractors weight close to the same.

Power assist or full hydrostatic steering there is only going to be so much force available, and when you exceed that, it is not going to turn. Proper counter ballast really helps to take some of the strain off.

David

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Even with 1000lb counter weight on the rear of my 3000 the steering still doesn't work sitting still with enough weight on the front. Just the nature of the beast. I unloaded 200 T-posts the other day and it didn't want to steer even while it was moving. I was really surprised it even picked them up to begin with. Sure beat unloading by hand.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Why are you trying to steer sitting still with a full load in your loader? I am sure if you slightly move you can steer any direction you want.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Why are you trying to steer sitting still with a full load in your loader? I am sure if you slightly move you can steer any direction you want.
Are you saying you never turn your steering wheel while sitting still? It's pretty common practise to have the wheels pointed in the direction of travel before the tractor is moved.

dmanlyr

Equipment
L3200, Hustler Super Z
May 30, 2012
Graham, WA
There is many a reason for this when performing close in loader work. Many times I am back grading within less of a inch of a rock wall for example, with a load of stone in the bucket to better compact the soil. The slight shifting of the front of the tractor when turning the wheel without moving allows me to better place teh bucket then crawl along very close and minimize the amount of hand labor to finish the rake out.

Same at times when using the pallet forks to load a 4' (48") wide pallet in to a pickup truck with ony 49" between the wheel wells. since I have no side shift ala a forklift, then the ability to slightly jog the load with the steering without moving is a great help.

Basicly I try to use my tractor as a small garden spade at times, with the close to immovable or easily damaged items very close by. I absolutly hate to get off any piece of machinery to do something manualy! Some of my neihbors joke that I pick up my Chihuahua's poop with the bucket...

EDIT - perhaps it is because in a lot of ways, I tend to use my tractor as a quasi skid steer or excavator as well?

David

Last edited: