L3200 shutting off

bh5era

Equipment
L3200 4WD
Mar 19, 2023
Alabama
I have an 4WD gear driven L3200. It has recently just started shutting off, but not losing power(the dash lights would remain on). At first it would do it every now and then. Now I can’t even put it into gear without it shutting off. It will crank and idle fine in neutral(will literally run all day if I’d let it). But as soon as I go to shift it into gear, it shuts off, if I throw it into neutral quick enough, it’ll stay on and idle. Is there a gear shift switch or anything? The seat switch seams to have the plastic lever taken off, so Id say that’s already been bypassed.

bh5era

Equipment
L3200 4WD
Mar 19, 2023
Alabama
I thought the seat switch was to kill the PTO if it was running? I do not know. This is my first tractor and recently purchased it. Kind of freaking out. It can be on and running in neutral, turn on the pto and it still runs. Just dies when you put it into a gear. No matter if it’s high. Low. Or reverse.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
There is more to it. Let me suggest that one needs a copy of the Operator's Manual, and a copy of the Workshop Manual (WSM). The WSM has the circuit diagrams for the Operator Safety circuits.

Part of the story is that the L3200 will shut down if it detects operator not present (seat switch) and in gear. That's so you don't run over yourself. The PTO also has a switch to keep from twisting an arm off. Another switch so that it can't be started without the clutch depressed.

The previous suggestions are a good place to start looking. The WSM has the answers.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I thought the seat switch was to kill the PTO if it was running? I do not know. This is my first tractor and recently purchased it. Kind of freaking out. It can be on and running in neutral, turn on the pto and it still runs. Just dies when you put it into a gear. No matter if it’s high. Low. Or reverse.
it’s got two positions on the seat switch so you can run the pto stationary and not be in the seat

D129854F-45D2-4C76-9122-EAC983871952.png

There is only 2 switches on the gear drive model, one on the range (H,L,R) lever and one on the PTO.

I got the exact same tractor

there isn’t a switch on the clutch to start, you can start it without being on the tractor if the range is in neutral and pto off (that’s the same though even if you are on the tractor)

Last edited:

bh5era

Equipment
L3200 4WD
Mar 19, 2023
Alabama
it’s got two positions on the seat switch so you can run the pto stationary and not be in the seat

View attachment 98386
There is only 2 switches on the gear drive model, one on the range (H,L,R) lever and one on the PTO.

I got the exact same tractor

there isn’t a switch on the clutch to start, you can start it without being on the tractor if the range is in neutral and pto off (that’s the same though even if you are on the tractor)
so I should shoot to replace the switch on the range and seat switch as well?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
so I should shoot to replace the switch on the range and seat switch as well?
no, it’s working as it should. If the plastic arm is broke off the seat switch it thinks the seat is flipped up (for stationary pto), that’s why it still runs with pto on, but shuts off with the range lever. Just replace the seat switch 👍

bh5era

Equipment
L3200 4WD
Mar 19, 2023
Alabama
no, it’s working as it should. If the plastic arm is broke off the seat switch it thinks the seat is flipped up (for stationary pto), that’s why it still runs with pto on, but shuts off with the range lever. Just replace the seat switch 👍
I am thinking that arm has been off of it though. I just noticed it today. Like I said it’s the first tractor for me. But I noticed that switch with nothing there. This problem started yesterday. I thought it was out of fuel at first. But then it was running fine. It ran fine some today as well but with the problem occurring a little more. But now it’s constant on shutting off while in gear. So that’s why I’m confused because if the arm was off the whole time it should have never been working in the first place, but I operated it for a good amount of time yesterday and like I said it ran like it was supposed to earlier in the day today.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
It’s really hard to say without seeing it or knowing the history of it, but the concern sound like a bad seat switch.