L3130-HST first 50 hr service

BillS

Equipment
05' L3130, Loader, BH60", BoxBlade
Apr 20, 2009
Sommerville, TN.
I'm in progress of purchasing a clean used 05' L3130 HST (66hrs) and negotiated in a 50 hr service from dealer before pickup from individual. He advised me that Kubota had changed their policy on changing out the tran oil at 50 hrs, to refill as needed. Does any one know of changes? Any other problems, recalls or things to check before accepting?

Michael

Equipment
Zen Noh ZL1801 Sadly I sold it and a T1400 lawn tractor
Mar 11, 2009
Sedro Woolley, Washington USA
Change that fluid and filters, DO not accept it if the trans fluid is not changed. The main reason for the 50 hour service is the fact that after the transmission is built they clean it but can not get everything and everything has to "wear in" so there are metal shavings in that the filters catch, you do not want to have metal shavings in the filters and the transmission any longer then needed. So make him pay for the fluid change that should have been done in the first place at the 50 hour mark.

BillS

Equipment
05' L3130, Loader, BH60", BoxBlade
Apr 20, 2009
Sommerville, TN.
Thanks. I went by a Orange dealer today at lunch and asked the same question. They advised that since the oil is so expensive, that unless it is milky or dark they would advise to change the filter only and leave the oil.
Your thoughts?

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hey Bill,

If I'm reading the specs correctly, your L3130 takes about 11 gallons of fluid. The stuff Kubota sells is about $90/5 gallons so you'd be around $200 for the fluid. BUT, WalMart does offer some more reasonably priced fluid as well, around half the price. Troy, another user on here with a L285, made a thread about it with some pics not that long ago. I've dug that up here:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131

I agree with Michael. Bite the bullet and switch that fluid out too.

Michael

Equipment
Mar 11, 2009
Call me old school, I would insist that the dealer do this or NO DEAL. If all the other tractor producing companies insist on the 50 hour service and I do know that they do and if it is not done you could VOID Kubota's warranty.

I happen to think on these lines pay $200-300 for the service or really pay out the nose for a transmission, 3 point lift, the PTO, FEL or a power steering cylinder they are all tied into that fluid. Actually they are way more moving parts that are affected by that fluid then the engine. I also think that the fluid does degrade more on breaking in a new tractor then a older one.

I have a tendency to over maintain my stuff and change the fluids earlier and much more often then is recommended, I have yet to have a failure from my equipment.

There is the old mechanic's saying pay me now or pay me much more later.

Michael

Equipment
Mar 11, 2009
Yeah I remember them and I smiled every time they came on. For most folks do a poor job of preventive maintenance.

Really preventive maintenance is really simple just follow the book to the letter and you will likely never have a problem. One thing though is the fact that if the book says severe conditions FOLLOW THAT as your normal usage.