L3130 bogging down issues

Birdman2447

Equipment
L3130
Jun 4, 2023
New Hampshire
Howdy,

We have a 2004 Kubota L3130 HST with 1300hrs on it. Been a reliable machine until the last few hours. We have noticed the engine bogging down more and more. The engine bogs similar to when you push too hard on the pedal when its cold or when in too high of gear range, except when its doing this it can bog in low range on even a small hill. It is hit or miss tho, like when moving dirt with the loader some movements its bogs worse than others. Another weird thing is when its bogging on say flat ground if mid engine bog with the pedal forward I go from forward to reverse the tractor will then not bog in reverse. Reverse clearly does not bog as easily and nearly not at all.

Some info and ideas:

1. Some might ask if I know exactly how to operate a HST, I have many hours on HST equipment so this is not an issue.
2. Fuel filter looks clean and engine runs well other than the bogging. For example the loader and backhoe have plenty of power.
3. Both the hydraulic and transmission filters are roughly 100 hours old, however the backhoe has some heavily weeping pistons so maybe backhoe use has something clogged.

4. When we blew a hose one night the only tractor fluid we could get was the Navi Guard Universal Tractor Fluid NAV TRACTOR HYD FLUID 5 GALLON PAIL Napa said it meets the Kubota specs a long with many others so hopefully this is not the issue. We added about 2.5 gallons of this 20 hrs ago with the bogging issue starting just about 2 hours ago.

Updated: When the issue first started and before I tried it in reverse I thought the parking brake was stuck on, but tires spin by hand when I jacked it up with the outriggers.

Any thoughts on where to begin? If it was a clogged filter it should effect the performance in both forwards and reverse, no?

I am a decent backyard mechanic, but not with trouble shooting issues like this.

Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine bogging issues are most of the time fuel delivery / contamination / quality issues
smell the tank Gasoline smell?
Could have algae / water in the tank?
Check for good fuel flow out of the filter.

Next common is air delivery, check for dirty filter or mouse / bird nest!

Hydraulic issues that cause bogging are normally from three point feed back linkage being mal adjusted.
Move the three point lever to a mid position and see if it changes.

Reactions: 1 user

Marshall

Equipment
L4630
Oct 22, 2013
Denison, TX
Howdy,

We have a 2004 Kubota L3130 HST with 1300hrs on it. Been a reliable machine until the last few hours. We have noticed the engine bogging down more and more. The engine bogs similar to when you push too hard on the pedal when its cold or when in too high of gear range, except when its doing this it can bog in low range on even a small hill. It is hit or miss tho, like when moving dirt with the loader some movements its bogs worse than others. Another weird thing is when its bogging on say flat ground if mid engine bog with the pedal forward I go from forward to reverse the tractor will then not bog in reverse. Reverse clearly does not bog as easily and nearly not at all.

Some info and ideas:

1. Some might ask if I know exactly how to operate a HST, I have many hours on HST equipment so this is not an issue.
2. Fuel filter looks clean and engine runs well other than the bogging. For example the loader and backhoe have plenty of power.
3. Both the hydraulic and transmission filters are roughly 100 hours old, however the backhoe has some heavily weeping pistons so maybe backhoe use has something clogged.

4. When we blew a hose one night the only tractor fluid we could get was the Navi Guard Universal Tractor Fluid NAV TRACTOR HYD FLUID 5 GALLON PAIL Napa said it meets the Kubota specs a long with many others so hopefully this is not the issue. We added about 2.5 gallons of this 20 hrs ago with the bogging issue starting just about 2 hours ago.

Updated: When the issue first started and before I tried it in reverse I thought the parking brake was stuck on, but tires spin by hand when I jacked it up with the outriggers.

Any thoughts on where to begin? If it was a clogged filter it should effect the performance in both forwards and reverse, no?

I am a decent backyard mechanic, but not with trouble shooting issues like this.

Thanks!
Did you ever find root cause? I have similar issue with my L4630 HST.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Engine bogging issues are most of the time fuel delivery / contamination / quality issues
smell the tank Gasoline smell?
Could have algae / water in the tank?
Check for good fuel flow out of the filter.

Next common is air delivery, check for dirty filter or mouse / bird nest!

Hydraulic issues that cause bogging are normally from three point feed back linkage being mal adjusted.
Move the three point lever to a mid position and see if it changes.
+1

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Howdy,

Some info and ideas:

Thanks!
Had same issue my l3130 HST 1100 hr was the HST unit / Pull filters & cut open will give you answer brass or steel / if you have steel you will have brass also / will post some pictures next post / ended up buying a used HST on line.

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
I have the original HST / The slippers are chewed up a bit/ steel slipper guide ring broke in pieces / you have to buy the slipper ,plungers, swash plate assembly from kubota $11k /used hst like $6,500 dont rember exact. / kept it because it still worked just boged down in high & mid range on hills low & rev. ok / if filters are clean might be relife vavle in HST there are 2 of them / will take some pictures out of repair manual of parts // if you know how to pm me will give phone # we can talk

ferguson

Equipment
L3130
Jan 19, 2022
w.v.
Not the best picture the nine small round things are the slippers and the steel ringAround the outside is What broke into pieces on mine have to buy both of those items number one Kabota Will not sell just one. One is the pump the others to slave

Attachments