L2900 Temp Gauge issues

MHH

Nov 9, 2012
Lexington
We have a L2900 that is showing hot on the temperature gauge, however, it is NOT running hot. The gauge is reading false. We have replaced both the sending unit and the gauge. What next. Would a module, part #16415-65661 have anything to do with control of the gauge function? ANY help would be appreciated.

Breeze

Equipment
L3700, Box Grader, 60" Bush Hog, Rear Grader Blade, York Rake, Boom Pole.
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
High temperature indications on any diesel are worrisome.

When you say that the engine is actually not running warmer than normal, have you checked this with an accurate alternative instrument, or simply by observation.

Also, it might be helpful if you described the operating condition when the gage shows hot. Is this all the time, under load, with engine off?

Hope you get this sorted out.

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
Just a little more on your temperature situation.

The boiling point for a 50% antifreeze mix is around 225 degrees, F. I believe the proper coolant temperature for your engine should be around 180 degrees F. Bad things happen at or near the boiling point.

I haven't looked at schematics for your tractor but a probe (thermocouple) wired to a gage should be pretty accurate, especially when new. I don't know what "module" you refer to in your post.

First thing I would do would be to get the tractor fully hot, under load and check the temperature of the coolant in the overflow tank with a kitchen type thermometer that reads in the 150 to 250 range. I would not remove the radiator cap when hot (caution). If your coolant is in the 180 - 190 range you are fine. Notice where the needle is on the gage at that temp. and watch for indications above that mark. I think however that if you have a high gage reading you are going to find an elevated coolant temperature.

I assume you have a good sealing radiator cap and a functioning thermostat. Running hot does not mean steam blowing out of the engine. Running hot means an increase in coolant temperature above the design operating temperature of the coolant.

My experience and that I have picked up from the forums is that a normally functioning kubota coolant system will register a needle on the gage of no more than a quarter of the way to hot. Any reading above that indicates an issue.

Again, I hope this helps as you don't want to ignore a potential overheating issue. I'm poking at you a bit as your post indicated that you were positive the coolant temp was ok with no indication of how you reached that conclusion.

Kubota Tech Eric

Equipment
1972 L175, 1974 L175, 1977 B7100, want B6000
Nov 7, 2012
Escondido, ca
^couldnt agree more. You don't want to overlook a possible overheating issue. Have you tried temporarily installing an aftermarket gauge in place of the factory sendin unit and running it up to operating temp? Also there could be a blockage in the passage that the gauge goes into causing a higher temp there than the rest of the cooling system? I've worked on a few 2900 series tractors and the only real electrical issues they have are with the safety switch circuit. Although it is possible there is something faulty in the electrical I wouldn't completely rule out a cooling problem. Hope this helps!

Dan Williamson

Equipment
L3400F
Jul 1, 2012
Pride, LA
Not to highjack the thread here, I just wondered about "Breeze's" last post.

My L3400 temperature guage barely gets off the COLD peg when running under load. It registers, but not much.

Do I understand that's typical for these engines with a healthy cooling system?

I'm going to borrow a theromography gun from work to check it out.

Danny

Breeze

Equipment
Dec 24, 2010
Virgin Islands
I said a quarter needle but I was probably being generous. Mine operates in the tropics and if I ever saw anything greater than a quarter needle indication, I'd stop and check.

Nothing will damage a diesel engine faster than an overheat.

Be cool!