L2900 starter doesn't engage the flywheel

doobie

Equipment
L2900, TSC rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
NH
I'm having problems with my L2900 tractor. It seems like the starter doesn't engage the flywheel. Last week when I tried to start the tractor it sounded like it was starting for about a second (usually takes 2-3 seconds to start), then just started clicking. After that I doesn't do anything but click. Sometimes it makes a rapid clicking sound; other times it clicks once when I turn the key to start and clicks back when I turn it off. I tried starting it while jumping from a truck.

I pulled the starter motor out and it seems to turn and the piston(solenoid?) extends out. Both the gears on the starter motor and flywheel both seem good.

Any suggestions?

doobie

Equipment
L2900, TSC rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
NH
Sounds like you have a bad connection at one of the ends of the battery cables... Remove them and clean them up, and the spots that they connect... Should work after that. :)KennyV
Would be a good idea if it were old, but I had battery problems last month and currently have a new battery and new terminals.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
Put a meter on the starter and watch what happens.
That will tell you what is bad.

E/S

doobie

Equipment
L2900, TSC rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
NH
Put a meter on the starter and watch what happens.
That will tell you what is bad.

E/S
The voltage is the proper voltage across the ground and the hot for the starter when I try to start it.

KennyV

Equipment
L4200GST (cab)
Would be a good idea if it were old, but I had battery problems last month and currently have a new battery and new terminals.
Yes BUT the cables have 2 ends... Check both ends of each cable... Cable to terminal attachments can and do go bad internally, You will not necessarily see this...
If the negative cable where it attaches to the frame is suspect, that will cause your exact problem... :)KennyV

doobie

Equipment
L2900, TSC rear blade
Jan 23, 2011
NH
Yes BUT the cables have 2 ends... Check both ends of each cable... Cable to terminal attachments can and do go bad internally, You will not necessarily see this...
If the negative cable where it attaches to the frame is suspect, that will cause your exact problem... :)KennyV
The ground/negative is through the chassis. I used a good set of jumpers to help ensure things were grounded/powered properly with no change in results when trying to start it.