L2850DT - temperature gauge reading

jteague

Equipment
1986 L2850DT 5' Y Line Rotary Cutter; 5' Box Scrape
Jun 10, 2013
Rock Spring, GA
I also posted this over on tractorbynet ... sorry if you're on both and read this twice :)

Where dos your temp gauge read when mowing? I run a 5' L&S Line bush hog with my L2850 ... which I think is sized about right for the equipment. I was a little surprised when the temp guage climbed to a little more than halfway between the 1st "notch" (operating temp?) and the 2nd "notch" (red/overheat). It never climbed much higher ... but that seemed a little hight.

Conditions were:
* thick pasture (chest high)
* 85degrees +/-
* worked the tractor for a couple of hours before it climbed up
* did chase a few rats for fun ...

Is it normal to read that high?

Thanks for your input!
JT

BTW ...just hit 600hrs during the day! Pic shows the 600hr mark ... about 30 min later the temp gauge started creeping up a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Seems about right. I know my 3010 runs just about dead center in the middle in this heat (at least it did last weekend). Once it hits what I call 3/4 it is time to pull it into some shade and clear the seeds/weeds/dirt out of the radiator screen.

In looking at your pic, I wouldn't let it get to the next "notch" before I cleaned the radiator screen. My gauge displays differently, but to convert to yours I would say the temp shown is about where mine holds while bushogging in this heat with a cleared radiator.

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Chest-high grass and weeds tells the tale, combined with an increase in temperature indicated after a couple hours...

Keep the prescreen and radiator clean. We run a cheap $1 HVAC 'blue fiberglass cat hair catcher' residential-type furnace filter ahead of the mesh prescreen (or radiator). When in the field at break times we take out the pre-prescreen and shake it, reinstall it, and keep going. When too dirty just toss it. Saves repeatedly washing the radiator.

chrlslovak

Equipment
Kubota L2850 / MF175D
Oct 12, 2021
Ennis Tx
I also posted this over on tractorbynet ... sorry if you're on both and read this twice :)

Where dos your temp gauge read when mowing? I run a 5' L&S Line bush hog with my L2850 ... which I think is sized about right for the equipment. I was a little surprised when the temp guage climbed to a little more than halfway between the 1st "notch" (operating temp?) and the 2nd "notch" (red/overheat). It never climbed much higher ... but that seemed a little hight.

Conditions were:
* thick pasture (chest high)
* 85degrees +/-
* worked the tractor for a couple of hours before it climbed up
* did chase a few rats for fun ...

Is it normal to read that high?

Thanks for your input!
JT

BTW ...just hit 600hrs during the day! Pic shows the 600hr mark ... about 30 min later the temp gauge started creeping up a bit.

chrlslovak

Equipment
Kubota L2850 / MF175D
Oct 12, 2021
Ennis Tx
I’m having the same problems with my temperature gauge not registering but I can’t seem to find the temperature sensor anyone know where I might look? Talk to a parts manager at Kabota dealer and said there wasn’t one that he could tell by the diagram IDK. TIA

chrlslovak

Equipment
Kubota L2850 / MF175D
Oct 12, 2021
Ennis Tx
I’m having the same problems with my temperature gauge not registering but I can’t seem to find the temperature sensor anyone know where I might look? Talk to a parts manager at Kabota dealer and said there wasn’t one that he could tell by the diagram IDK. TIA
Sorry mine is a L2850..

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Look for the temperature sensor on the cylinder head near the radiator outlet hose, or around the thermostat housing. They generally look like a brass nut with a single blade push on electrical connector.

Fijian Guy

Equipment
Kubota L2850
Oct 18, 2023
Fiji
Not intending to bring back a dead thread but i think this might be helpful to someone in future.
For the L2850, the temperature sensor can be located on the cylinder head, near the injector closest to the fuel tank.