L2850 Glow Plug Operation

Springmeadows

Equipment
L2850DT
Nov 9, 2020
Hampshire United Kingdom
I have a 1988 L2850DT with five terminal key switch. Wiring schematic shows terminals G1 and G2 going to glow plugs but key connection diagram shows only G1 connecting during pre heat. Can anyone advise what G2 terminal is for.
Also wiring diagram does not show glow plug indicator which is fitted to dash can anyone advise how this is wired into system.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I have a 1988 L2850DT with five terminal key switch. Wiring schematic shows terminals G1 and G2 going to glow plugs but key connection diagram shows only G1 connecting during pre heat. Can anyone advise what G2 terminal is for.
Also wiring diagram does not show glow plug indicator which is fitted to dash can anyone advise how this is wired into system.
I have not looked at the wiring diagram for your tractor so my answer will be a bit generic.

If you have a glow indicator on your dash, a small wire which glows as you heat the glow plugs, then my answer goes like this.

During pre-heat stage, the power to the glow plugs flows through the glow indicator which is wired in series with the glow plugs.

During the engine cranking phase, the glow indicator is bypassed but power continues to flow to the glow plugs.

If you check I think you will find G2 is powered during engine cranking and is bypassing the glow indicator

Dave

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I concur completely with Dave's response but will expand slightly. The glow indicator is actually a voltage dropping resistor. It drops the tractor's twelve volts to the 10.5 volts the glow plugs use. During cranking by bypassing the resistor the glow plugs get the full twelve volts for additional heat.

Springmeadows

Equipment
L2850DT
Nov 9, 2020
Hampshire United Kingdom
I have not looked at the wiring diagram for your tractor so my answer will be a bit generic.

If you have a glow indicator on your dash, a small wire which glows as you heat the glow plugs, then my answer goes like this.

During pre-heat stage, the power to the glow plugs flows through the glow indicator which is wired in series with the glow plugs.

During the engine cranking phase, the glow indicator is bypassed but power continues to flow to the glow plugs.

If you check I think you will find G2 is powered during engine cranking and is bypassing the glow indicator

Dave
Hi Dave,
Thank you for your prompt and very helpful response.
Denis

Springmeadows

Equipment
L2850DT
Nov 9, 2020
Hampshire United Kingdom
I concur completely with Dave's response but will expand slightly. The glow indicator is actually a voltage dropping resistor. It drops the tractor's twelve volts to the 10.5 volts the glow plugs use. During cranking by bypassing the resistor the glow plugs get the full twelve volts for additional heat.
Hi Roadworthy,
Thanks for your contribution.
Good to know that running glow plugs at full system voltage for short period during cranking is acceptable.
Denis

Strodad

Equipment
L2850
Jul 25, 2021
Eddington, Maine
Did you get your problem fixed? I just picked up a 1990 L2859. I think I have an issue with my key switch and my glow indicator does not light when I turn the key counter clockwise.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Did you get your problem fixed? I just picked up a 1990 L2859. I think I have an issue with my key switch and my glow indicator does not light when I turn the key counter clockwise.
Springmeadows was last on OTT shortly after that last post November 2020.

If you click on their name thingy (avatar ?), their history should come up.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should NOT expect to see that indicator glow if it is the style described as a hole in the dash that looks like a cigarette would fit in with a curved wire down behind the hole.

If it was brand new, glow plugs brand new, a bit dark and you held it on glow for a good while you could say it glowed. Otherwise it is a dim thing that you might notice in the dark of night when starting the tractor,