L2800 might start then wont start again.

bboblloyd

Equipment
brush hog
Mar 22, 2011
Chehalis, WA
My L2800 has around 600 hrs and I changed a dirty fuel filter because it was running sluggish and or die sometimes. Bled the lines and it started up and ran great for about 15 minutes before I shut it off. When I tried again it wouldn't chug or anything similar to starting. Bled the lines again using starter and diesel dripped from all three injectors. Still no start.

The next day I found a lever by injector pump that I moved in pumping motion and used bleed valve. It started and I thought I figured it out. I loosened one injector(1/4 turn maybe) while it was running to see if it would help bleed any remaining air. The engine ran rough when I did this so I tightened it back up. The engine ran good again so I drove it around for 15 minutes or so to charge the low battery and warm it up to temp. Shut it down and immediately tried to start it but it didn't wanna start. No chugging or even close. I tried pumping the lever again hoping it is a manual primer. I get nothing again.

I'm getting a service manual, but it seems I'm missing something simple. I'm not fluent in diesel engines and I would be thankful for some advice.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It sounds to me like it may still have some air in the system. I would recheck all the lines you loosened up and make sure they are tight. Make sure the fuel filter has a good seal also. Every Kubota I have fooled with has had either a hollow bolt where the fuel line goes into the pump or had a small knob that you open when you change fuel filters. With either setup it worked fine. Loosen the bolt or turn the knob and start cranking the engine over. With the bolt type when the fuel reached the pump it will squirt fuel out around the bolt. Tighten the bolt and fire it up. Normally it will run just fine. With the knob type just open the knob fully and start cranking the engine. When it fires up close the knob back up and it ready to go. I've been fooling with Kubotas for about 30 yrs and have never had to loosen a injector line to get air from the lines. If you get fuel to the pump it will get the air out from there. The very first time I serviced my B 7100 I felt like their bleed system was the best on the market. I think it still is. Out of all the different diesel engines I have worked on over the yrs Kubota by far is the easiest to bleed air and get cranked back up.

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
Best guess...getting air in the fuel system, or a vacuume from somewhere.

Just a thought....try loosening the fuel fill cap - maybe it's causing it to vacuume?

Good to see a Washingtonian close by!

bboblloyd

Equipment
brush hog
Mar 22, 2011
Chehalis, WA
Thanks for the help. This thing is driving me crazy.
I tightened up those injectors and they appear to be dry, so I don't think they are leaking. On my very first try I missed tightening one and it was leaking fuel, but it was running just fine even with diesel leaking pretty bad.

I didn't know about that knob first time. On my second try I loosened it and cranked it until she started then tightened it. Worked like a charm. It ran good for 15 minutes or so until temp gauge was proper, so I shut it off to try it again and it wouldn't start. Double checked each injector line again and looked for anything stupid. Tried the same trick again but no luck.

I'm gonna try putting an additive in my fuel tomorrow. It was stuck outside in the cold for a week when it stalled and it was very low on fuel. Might have some water from condensation. I added a full tank of fresh fuel but I hear it only takes a little bit of water. Stanadyne Performance was suggested.

I don't want to loosen the injector lines again. If I use the knob will that be sufficient to bleed all the air? Loosen while turning over, then tighten after it starts right?

It almost seems like if I let off the key just right it will chug a little before it stops. If I don't do it just right it just turns with no chugging. I think I read somewhere that a compression release helps it to turn over. Could this be stuck or not working properly. If fuel is flowing and the engine is turning over shouldn't there be some sort of chugging sound?

What is that lever thing to the right? I used it, hoping it was primer pump.

Again thanks, I appreciate the help. I will be sure to post the results.

bboblloyd

Equipment
brush hog
Mar 22, 2011
Chehalis, WA
Ignition switch is the problem. I can start it by nudging the key a little. Must have some crud in there from sitting out. I'll clean those contacts and the problem should be fixed.

It starts every time now. THANKS so much for the help I learned a lot.

A shout out to fj40dave in Allyn. I was checking the fuel cap when I figured it out. Howdy neighbor.