L275 DT, starting and RPM / hours counter

dho60

Aug 12, 2012
Ober Ramstadt, Germany
Hi,

bought my L275 DT one year ago. After solved some trouble with the main clutch the tractor runs well now, except two small problems.

1.) Starting the engine, it seems it starts on two cylinder and it takes some more rpm to activate the third one.
There is black smoke for the first seconds, then it runs without smoke and I do not feel any lack of power.
Up to now the injection system has not been checked, I think I have to do this first.

2. The combined RPM and hours counter does not work. What is the operating principle? There is no flexible shaft (any more) on the backside of the instrument.

BR., Dieter

LeadHead

Equipment
Kubota L275, Allis Chalmers WD45, King Kutter II 3-point tiller, dirt scoop, brush hog, back blade
Sep 29, 2009
Illinois
Did you steal my tractor? Oh, wait, yours is a DT, never mind! :D My L275 has the same exact starting symptom as yours; sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders, then the 3rd one finally kicks in. I'm suspecting that I have 1 bad glow plug but I've not yet gotten the gumption to tear it down to remove each one to test them. I'm having too much fun using the tractor after a recent engine overhaul.
As for the tach/hourmeter, again I'm in the same situation as you. If you look on the front of the engine directly forward and maybe a bit lower than the injection pump, you'll notice a little square housing with a threaded fitting protruding up at an angle. That's your drive unit for the tach/meter. You'll need to purchase a drive cable for about $25 from your local dealer and HOPE that your drive housing is not inoperable like mine. I'm going to pull mine off soon and try to determine if it's fixable. Otherwise it will cost you $100+ from the dealer for that little gem.
Hope this helps.

dho60

Aug 12, 2012
Ober Ramstadt, Germany
Hi,

thanks for the feedback.
I already changed the glow plugs.. it did not get better.
But - I bought the tractor from a guy who worked with it only a few times each summer. My feeling is starting the engine gets more and more easy the more hours I operate the tractor. Maybe the injection nozzle helps some self cleaning effect.

I will check, if the drive unit of the hour meter is still working. The cable is missing..

BR., Dieter