L275 drive power loss

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com
I have a 1985 Kubota L225 with a Freeman 1000 FEL and loaded tires. When I am in Low 1st or 2nd gear I have no issue, Low reverse sometimes when I let off the clutch the tractor does not move. The engine is running at 2000 or 2500 RPM, I can raise and lower the bucket and 3pt arms but the transmission doesn’t seem to ”drive”. I put it in first and it moves. I have never driven it in High gear, I have recently purchased this tractor within the last 6 months. Transmission fluid is full and I do not see any fluid spraying, there is a small leak around the gear shift that I am going to fix soon. This is my first tractor and I’m not afraid to turn a wrench. I’ve already replaced the FEL lift cylinders and some hoses. Drained and refilled/replaced all fluids/filters first thing.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
If you are lucky your clutch free play is not adjusted properly.

Otherwise your clutch is worn out (not unusual with loader use), The tractor has to be split in two to get to the clutch.

Dave.

Reactions: 1 user

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com
If you are lucky your clutch free play is not adjusted properly.

Otherwise your clutch is worn out (not unusual with loader use), The tractor has to be split in two to get to the clutch.

Dave.
I will check that, thank you. I’m not afraid to split the tractor after I procure manuals and rebuild parts.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The leakage may be caused by a clogged transmission vent.

I assume that the vent is under the left (clutch) side of the seat at the top of the transmission and looks like a question mark laying on its side. It is a small tube that screws into the side of the transmission case and can be unscrewed and cleaned out with a wire and reinstalled.

Have you used any implements (shredder, tiller) on the rear that required PTO power? If the clutch is slipping those implements won’t always work well either.

krakenacres

Equipment
L2501, L225
Jul 11, 2021
Parma Twp MI
capnsean.com
The leakage may be caused by a clogged transmission vent.

I assume that the vent is under the left (clutch) side of the seat at the top of the transmission and looks like a question mark laying on its side. It is a small tube that screws into the side of the transmission case and can be unscrewed and cleaned out with a wire and reinstalled.

Have you used any implements (shredder, tiller) on the rear that required PTO power? If the clutch is slipping those implements won’t always work well either.
I have a bush hog I haven’t been able to use much because of a missing sway chain that should be in soon, it’s on order. I’ll check that vent tube.