L2650 Clutch Repair

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They are standard hardened spring roll pins, should be able to get them locally.

This is a cautionary tail why you DO NOT force the parts together.
If it doesn't slide together completely and easily something is wrong.

Here is what they look like.

Reactions: 1 user

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023

Here is a video and a couple of pics. I am back to the same spot as before and it won't go any further. I am starting to think it is the center bearing in the flywheel, but what do I know. I did compare the 2 before installing the bearing. They looked exactly the same. But I didnt test it on the shaft itself. The video is of my jumping up and down on the strap to the axles. It appears to be pivoting on something and not going in any further. I am at a loss. Please let me know what you think before I split it again. Maybe I just havent tried long enough.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Here is a video and a couple of pics. I am back to the same spot as before and it won't go any further. I am starting to think it is the center bearing in the flywheel, but what do I know. I did compare the 2 before installing the bearing. They looked exactly the same. But I didnt test it on the shaft itself. The video is of my jumping up and down on the strap to the axles. It appears to be pivoting on something and not going in any further. I am at a loss. Please let me know what you think before I split it again. Maybe I just havent tried long enough.
You didn't set up the link for the video correctly.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.

What did you use to line up the clutch? I would certainly be sure the inside diameter of the pilot bearing is correct. When everything is correct these tractors push right together. If you are having to jump up and down on a strap you're going to do some damage.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like you have the alinement off?
Front and rear both look low on the bottom
And the distance looks like the pilot bearing is not being engaged

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Transmission in neutral
Turn the crank on the engine.
Most of the time it takes very little turning to get it to align

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023
Transmission in neutral
Turn the crank on the engine.
Most of the time it takes very little turning to get it to align
Thank you all so much for your help. I will keep trying what you said. I have turned it a few times but will continue to see if it will line up. I will stop jumping up and down on the strapping. I don't want to damage anything in there. You get frustrated and start doing stupid things. I will remember to take a break before I break something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Since you have some doubts about the bearing in the flywheel not being able to fit the shaft…

You have to make a decision now to either take it back apart and make sure the bearing fits properly and everything looks right and try again or to just keep trying and see if it goes together.

You can decide based on how long it took to get to this point and then how long would it take to undo the work.

I can also suggest that you might be able to get into that area and see what you can find out with a small inspection camera hooked to your smart phone like this

or a similar stand alone at harbor freight or Lowe’s

be sure the camera has a light around the lens to be able to see. I have no idea how convoluted the path is to get into the flywheel area is so that could be a nonstarter for this idea.

I agree with the previous poster that the tractor does not look level front to back so I think you need to get the mating joints jacked up some. Can you install more alignment pins in the bottom of the joint?

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023
Since you have some doubts about the bearing in the flywheel not being able to fit the shaft…

You have to make a decision now to either take it back apart and make sure the bearing fits properly and everything looks right and try again or to just keep trying and see if it goes together.

You can decide based on how long it took to get to this point and then how long would it take to undo the work.

I can also suggest that you might be able to get into that area and see what you can find out with a small inspection camera hooked to your smart phone like this

or a similar stand alone at harbor freight or Lowe’s

be sure the camera has a light around the lens to be able to see. I have no idea how convoluted the path is to get into the flywheel area is so that could be a nonstarter for this idea.

I agree with the previous poster that the tractor does not look level front to back so I think you need to get the mating joints jacked up some. Can you install more alignment pins in the bottom of the joint?
Thank you very much. I agree about alignment. I continue to jack it in all kinds of positions. I am on unlevel ground which is a lot of the problem to I guess. I don't have a slab to work on. I have elected to take it back apart since I have learn to do that quickly. I will make sure of everything this time and not assume anything. Something also that you guys can give me input on is I didn't remove the front loader to work on this. It does seem to be an issue, but I wanted to make sure you had the complete picture. The video link was just me wriggling it a bit. I will make a better one and send.

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023
So I have it apart and inspected everything closely. I think I found it. The inner clutch plate that comes preinstalled in the clutch is not aligned properly. It is quite a bit off center. I will need to recenter it. The bearing fits nicely, so that wasn't it. The clutch apparently would go on the first center plate and then hit the second plate off enough to hang. I am guessing that the center clutch plate is simple to realign, but I would like your input. I think I will need c clamps to do so. Just wanted to update everyone. Thanks for you help along the way.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
What did you use to align the clutch to start with? Did you not use any type of alignment tool?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What did you use to align the clutch to start with? Did you not use any type of alignment tool?
Same thing I was wondering. Hope he didn't just 'eyeball' it.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Same thing I was wondering. Hope he didn't just 'eyeball' it.

What would be wrong with "just eyeball" if it actually goes together smoothly?

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
What would be wrong with "just eyeball" if it actually goes together smoothly?
Nothing IF it goes together smoothly.

But the average 'Joe' can't look at the clutch behind the pressure plate and get things lined up well enough.

That is why they make splined tools for cars/trucks/tractors. It doesn't have to be off much to prevent an input shaft from engaging and seating fully.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Nothing IF it goes together smoothly.

But the average 'Joe' can't look at the clutch behind the pressure plate and get things lined up well enough.

That is why they make splined tools for cars/trucks/tractors. It doesn't have to be off much to prevent an input shaft from engaging and seating fully.
Was wondering ....because....
I with help from a friend in Canada (I actually helped him) we split my Ford 1920.
We wanted an alignment tool, but did not have one.
We were careful, and just slowly pulled it together with the bolts.
Seemed to work just fine.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A dual clutch pack is much harder to get lined up as it has two sets of splines that need lined up in order to engage fully.
Travel clutch and PTO clutch
1680372792851.png

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023
thank you Wolfman for your continued help. Yes, this is a dual clutch and the alignment tool seems to be no where to be found. The link I was given above (and thank you for it) seems to be an alignment tool for a single clutch. I do have skills in turning, so I actually have turned a tool for alignment on my lathe. It has four different circumferences to address in getting it lined up, and this tool does it nicely. I am slowly making sure everything is a close to perfect as can be before attempting to put the tractor back together this time. I do work full time, so I have to take advantage when I have extra time. The one thing that is a bit of a challenge I am sure without the tool with splines, is getting the splines lined up with one another. I won't be trying to put it back together until I have that as closely as I possibly can get it. I have had to refinish with a wire brush, the splines on the transmission side. Remember this tractor had tons of rust in the bellhousing. The splines look really good after wirebrush. I want to make sure all is a good as can be and really clean.
One question please; I have the shop manual and the adjustment screws for the pto bolts shows a 1 mm clearance when adjusted properly. I did that, but now when I tighten the clutch on to torque specs, the inner pto disk becomes loose. Am I wrong in my consideration of these bolts and the 1 mm clearance between the head of the bolt and the steel portion of the clutch? It is the 3 bolts on the pto portion. Can't seem to find that answer in the shop manual, or I am reading it wrong.

Thank you all for your input. I am sure this will help others in the future as well.