L2650 Clutch Repair

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
thank you Wolfman for your continued help. Yes, this is a dual clutch and the alignment tool seems to be no where to be found. The link I was given above (and thank you for it) seems to be an alignment tool for a single clutch. I do have skills in turning, so I actually have turned a tool for alignment on my lathe. It has four different circumferences to address in getting it lined up, and this tool does it nicely. I am slowly making sure everything is a close to perfect as can be before attempting to put the tractor back together this time. I do work full time, so I have to take advantage when I have extra time. The one thing that is a bit of a challenge I am sure without the tool with splines, is getting the splines lined up with one another. I won't be trying to put it back together until I have that as closely as I possibly can get it. I have had to refinish with a wire brush, the splines on the transmission side. Remember this tractor had tons of rust in the bellhousing. The splines look really good after wirebrush. I want to make sure all is a good as can be and really clean.
One question please; I have the shop manual and the adjustment screws for the pto bolts shows a 1 mm clearance when adjusted properly. I did that, but now when I tighten the clutch on to torque specs, the inner pto disk becomes loose. Am I wrong in my consideration of these bolts and the 1 mm clearance between the head of the bolt and the steel portion of the clutch? It is the 3 bolts on the pto portion. Can't seem to find that answer in the shop manual, or I am reading it wrong.

Thank you all for your input. I am sure this will help others in the future as well.
Are you adjusting the three bolts before you have things tightened down on the flywheel?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll dig into the WSM and check how to set the clutch, haven't done a dual in quite a while.
Don't worry about the spline alinement, you can turn the PTO to help align it, the same way as turning the engine to align main shaft

Vanmark

Equipment
L2650
Jan 26, 2023
Finally good good news. I celebrated. I solicited the help of a good friend. He is 81 and he and I worked quite a while on it. (approx 8 hours) We took everything back apart and checked everything. Including the studs. They were a little bent from all the finagling. We bought 2 more bolts and (10mm 1.25 threads) and made studs out of them. We now had 5 guide bolts which were badly needed since this is sitting on an uneven dirt surfact. We checked alignment again with my home made wooden alignment tool. With everything as perfect as we could get it, we started going together with it. We got to the 3/4 of an inch were it usually stalled, and we giggled it a big and we heard it jump into the pilot bearing. I celebrated loudly. I learned too, that it really took 2 people to do this. Being able to roll it together, check the front drive shaft for alignment, check the torsion bars from the loader, and do this simultaneously, really helped a bunch and was so much better than working alone. He also taught me to slow down a little and think things through a bit longer than I am use to. All in all, everything just needed more precision than I thought. Thank you all for your great help on this project. I sure hope it helps someone else in the future with these dual clutches. They are a bit more challenging than I thought it would be.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Finally good good news. I celebrated. I solicited the help of a good friend. He is 81 and he and I worked quite a while on it. (approx 8 hours) We took everything back apart and checked everything. Including the studs. They were a little bent from all the finagling. We bought 2 more bolts and (10mm 1.25 threads) and made studs out of them. We now had 5 guide bolts which were badly needed since this is sitting on an uneven dirt surfact. We checked alignment again with my home made wooden alignment tool. With everything as perfect as we could get it, we started going together with it. We got to the 3/4 of an inch were it usually stalled, and we giggled it a big and we heard it jump into the pilot bearing. I celebrated loudly. I learned too, that it really took 2 people to do this. Being able to roll it together, check the front drive shaft for alignment, check the torsion bars from the loader, and do this simultaneously, really helped a bunch and was so much better than working alone. He also taught me to slow down a little and think things through a bit longer than I am use to. All in all, everything just needed more precision than I thought. Thank you all for your great help on this project. I sure hope it helps someone else in the future with these dual clutches. They are a bit more challenging than I thought it would be.
Us over 80 guys are often plodders, but frequently our plodding pays off.