L260 run away diesel

Buggyalstare

Nov 9, 2014
Smyrna Delaware US
https://youtu.be/qEqaTcck9wU

This is a video of my L260 i bought a year ago. The starter didn't work and i never heard it run. I take the starter off clean it bolt it back on. I start it and it goes full throttle, and i couldn't lower the throttle or shut it down. Somehow my buddy Cliff managed too.

Our second attempt was the same full throttle run away. We looked over the linkage to the pump and didn't notice anything obvious. I ordered the 3 manuals i could find for the L260 online. But none of them show the innards of the pump. Is it safe to go disassembling the pump to see what is going on?

I'm going to try starting it again, and this time I'm going to just block off the intake if it goes run away on me again. And hopefully that will kill it. I'd really like to get this figured out. It came with a finish mower. And there's several acres i need to mow with it.

If anyone knows anything about the older L260 and has an idea of what's going on with it, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You should have the injection pump serviced by a good shop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
https://youtu.be/qEqaTcck9wU

This is a video of my L260 i bought a year ago. The starter didn't work and i never heard it run. I take the starter off clean it bolt it back on. I start it and it goes full throttle, and i couldn't lower the throttle or shut it down. Somehow my buddy Cliff managed too.

Our second attempt was the same full throttle run away. We looked over the linkage to the pump and didn't notice anything obvious. I ordered the 3 manuals i could find for the L260 online. But none of them show the innards of the pump. Is it safe to go disassembling the pump to see what is going on?

I'm going to try starting it again, and this time I'm going to just block off the intake if it goes run away on me again. And hopefully that will kill it. I'd really like to get this figured out. It came with a finish mower. And there's several acres i need to mow with it.

If anyone knows anything about the older L260 and has an idea of what's going on with it, please let me know. Thank you in advance!

On the side of the Injection Pumps on the L260, there is an inspection cover. One flat blade screw holds in on. Take it off. There is a rack in there with 2 'geared' heads on the injectors. Those racks get stuck. You can probably tap on it with a rubber mallet or use a small screwdriver to GENTLY pry it loose.

Once you get it loose, you need to lubricate it to keep it from happening again. The L260 is different than most diesels as the injection pump itself has oil in it that needs to be regularly changed.

Search for L260 on the site, another user did a great write-up with photos.

rookiefarmer

Equipment
1972 L260
Nov 1, 2011
Colfax, IN
On the side of the Injection Pumps on the L260, there is an inspection cover. One flat blade screw holds in on. Take it off. There is a rack in there with 2 'geared' heads on the injectors. Those racks get stuck. You can probably tap on it with a rubber mallet or use a small screwdriver to GENTLY pry it loose.

Once you get it loose, you need to lubricate it to keep it from happening again. The L260 is different than most diesels as the injection pump itself has oil in it that needs to be regularly changed.

Search for L260 on the site, another user did a great write-up with photos.
Found the writeup from Pejepscot.
https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17477

Buggyalstare

Nov 9, 2014
Smyrna Delaware US