L260 Hydraulic Drain

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
I recently purchased a Kubota L260 with a loader and a backhoe. I had to clean the hydraulic filter a couple of times (it looks like a new hydraulic pump) I cannot find a drain plug so I can change the hydraulic fluid. I know this tractor is very old but any help would be appreaciated. :confused:

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Unless you have a separate hydraulic reservoir, it is likely a shared fluid system where the transmission plugs would be the ones to remove. If you've pulled the screen at the bottom, you've likely already drained most of the fluid in that case. Any plug behind the bell housing.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Assuming shared fluid system be sure to check rear axle gear case housing down low on (forgot the proper name) gear reducer outboard of the differential and 'hanging' low inside each wheel.

Both of mine have plugs at the low point of that case. If you don't drain there also you'll not have a complete drain-n-change. Each plug lets out about 2-3 quarts of fluid depending on size of machine. Hex head plugs are metric.

Be prepared for sloppy experience when plug comes out. One of mine dripped when reinstalled. Don't like teflon tape in this setting. Went back with good smear of Kopr-Kote and held tight.

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
I was told it was a shared system but it is not. I drained the transmission / differential (80w) fluid and the hydraulic fluid level was still full. I have two different locations to check the fluid the trans fluid is just in front of the seat the hydruaulic is under the seat. The hydraulic filter has a triangle (three bolt) cover next to the hydraulic level / fill.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Seems there should be a plug somewhere. Can you post any pics for us? I wonder if you could disconnect the suction line to drain the case if you can't find a plug. You might have to buy a manual for it to get the right answer.

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
I have the manuals (opperator and service) but cannot find the information on how to drain it. I can find what fluid and how much to use, where the filter is, and when to change the fluids. nothing about how to drain. I just found a plug but it seems to high. I was thinking if I had to I would pull the retrun line and run it out. I will get some pics and post them. Added Pic in later post

Last edited:

mr.precision

Equipment
l260P
Jul 28, 2012
Prescott, Arizona
The L260 does not have a shared system. The hydraulic fluid reservoir is separate and located in the casting under the seat.

The drain plug is not easy to locate if you don't know where it is. The owners manual is no help.

Can't give you a picture.... so here goes a description.
Look on the left side of the tractor and find the PTO control lever arm.
The drain plug is a hex bolt mounted vertically in the side, at the base of the hydrualic "case". It is the last bolt forward, left side, at the base of the casting that the seat is attached to. It faces the left fender.

Plan to have hydraulic fluid go everywhere when you open it up. Mine was full of trash and a little water. I believe it took aroun d 6 quarts to bring the level to 1" from the top.

Good luck & let me know if you still cannot locate it.
Mike

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Thanks Mr. Precision,
I think that is the plug I found but it seemed a little higher than I thought it would be. I have not changed it yet but I will create a ramp with duct tape and a long funnel. Hopefully I can keep from making a big mess.

Thanks again.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Good info there Mr.Precision. Very interesting that the L260 has separate fluid systems. I wonder how many other Kubota tractors are set up like that? Vic, any idea?

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Mr. Precision you were right. It was a mess. I had a hard time getting the plug out then I had some clean up to do. Here is a picture of where the plug is and the other hyd fluid items are on the L260

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

bubman1979

Mar 18, 2014
Rossville GA
Hi I just purchased an L260 myself and am hoping you can help me out with a model number for the back hoe and loader on your tractor I would love to get one for mine bit cant seem to find either. I know they have them that will work as I have found posts like yours that says they have them. Thanks for any help you can give me

tjd7869

Equipment
L210
Feb 27, 2014
conneaut lake, PA
Good info there Mr.Precision. Very interesting that the L260 has separate fluid systems. I wonder how many other Kubota tractors are set up like that? Vic, any idea?
Well I can add another model that has a separate hyd system, my L210 has a reservoir connected to the fuel tank, hard to put into words on how to explain that set up. But about 15% of the fuel tank on the front is the hyd reservoir. The pump is gear driven off the cam on the front of the motor. I believe the L200 is the same.

Dab4933

Equipment
Digging, moving dirt
Sep 12, 2012
Westmont, IL. USA
Hi I just purchased an L260 myself and am hoping you can help me out with a model number for the back hoe and loader on your tractor I would love to get one for mine bit cant seem to find either. I know they have them that will work as I have found posts like yours that says they have them. Thanks for any help you can give me
The backhoe on my L260 is a Brantly model 430. it has saved me a lot of back breaking work over the years. I have had to replace some cylinders when I get to aggressive with it but I it is well worth it.