L2502 vs L3902

toobeary

Sep 27, 2023
Northern nevada
5 months of snow, using a front blade, on an open station tractor?
I don't think you'll like it at all. It will be fun the first few times but when the real snow hits, not so much.
Better option for speed and comfort is a cab tractor and a snow blower. Hands down. A Front blower is more comfortable, but a 3 point rear blower (front or rear facing), are much much better than blade.
A LOT more money for a blower and cab but you'll be a LOT happier.

Front snow blades are better than nothing, but tractors are slow.
I have a snowplow on my ATV, and hitting fresh snow at about 10mph or higher really throws the snow. And the ATV whips around fast. Can't do that on a SCUT with a blade. Of course on the ATV I'm freezing.

There may be times like this. My driveway last year. No, I don't have a snow blower attachment. Only option was the bucket. View attachment 112966 This is snow "drift".
the front snow plow/blade I have on my pioneer 1000 utv says to not go any faster than 5mph. Can’t imagine I’d be much slower on a tractor.

But yeah the cab maybe nice as time goes on. I enjoyed the cold air, bundled up, sipping on hot coffee on my open air utv, but that was the first winter doing it.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
the front snow plow/blade I have on my pioneer 1000 utv says to not go any faster than 5mph. Can’t imagine I’d be much slower on a tractor.

But yeah the cab maybe nice as time goes on. I enjoyed the cold air, bundled up, sipping on hot coffee on my open air utv, but that was the first winter doing it.
Sounds good. Just trying to help. Everyone is different.

Good luck on your purchase decision.

But, if you have the funds. Go CAB. Which means LX, M or Grand L. You can thank us all later.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
No not OEM. Kubota would probably try and void your warranty claim if you made one yes.
There would not be any "probably try" to void your warranty. It tells you in your OPM and your limitations papers that if you tamper with or modify the emissions system, the warranty is voided.

Then you can also be fined by the EPA.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
. Essentially it's just the hp and pto hp that's different. What I'm trying to understand is if my situation needs the increased engine hp.
There are a huge number of differences between the L2501-02 and the L3901-02.
Just because they are both orange and have 4 tires means nothing.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
There are a huge number of differences between the L2501-02 and the L3901-02.
Just because they are both orange and have 4 tires means nothing.
Hmm. But they are essentially the same tractor, same loader, same transmission, same hydraulic pump, right? Yes, the L3901 has more HP, but it's not a bigger frame like the L4701, right? Or does it have a different loader as well?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Hmm. But they are essentially the same tractor, same loader, same transmission, same hydraulic pump, right? Yes, the L3901 has more HP, but it's not a bigger frame like the L4701, right? Or does it have a different loader as well?
They are the same dimensions, hydraulic pump, clutch, hydrostat, and yes, they share the same loader.
They have different engines, radiators, range transmissions, rear ends, etc.
No, they are not essentially the same tractors, they don't even share the same WSMs.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
They are the same dimensions, hydraulic pump, clutch, hydrostat, and yes, they share the same loader.
They have different engines, radiators, range transmissions, rear ends, etc.
No, they are not essentially the same tractors, they don't even share the same WSMs.
I didn't know the rear end and transmission were different. Yes, the engine is clearly different, but to most people that's just more HP, same tractor.

In general usage, sounds like loader and hydraulic pump are the same == same loader capacity.
Dimensions and weight class the same == same traction (give or take a small amount of weight)
So the main use where you'd see a difference is PTO work, and arguably given the transmission differences, different speeds (probably related to having enough power to drive it faster). And, of course, simple things like pulling a load up a hill - so long as you're not traction limited.

Is that a fair summary, or are there other material differences in usage?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Seems like the issue/tangent is mentioning two different models while comparing 01/02 models. I wouldn't call the 01/02 differences huge, but there are several differences. There are a few YouTube videos that introduce 02 models that mention them.

The L2502 and L3902 are pretty similar except for engine. Likewise, the L2501 and L3901 are similar except for engine. You pay for more HP with a much more complex emission system that you may/may not consider as an issue. I wouldn't personally get a tractor with a DPF unless I really needed the extra HP.

If you need more HP than what the L2502 provides, I'd also look at the L3560 LE, L4060 LE, and MX5400. The biggest advantage of those is they are available with much more powerful loaders (optional loader for the L3560/L4060 LE) while not being dramatically more expensive than the L3902.

Of course, one issue is that you can keep going up, and up and up. :D