L2501 vs L2502

Stormy873

Equipment
B8200
Dec 10, 2023
Pacific NW
We are struggling with the unplanned need to purchase a farmstead tractor to replace our B8200, a little tractor that served us well for decades. We use a tractor to move manure piles, push sometimes copious amounts of snow and will be doing some minor harrowing to level rodent damage to my pasture…no plowing or heavy tilling as we have about four inches of topsoil and want to disturb it as little as necessary. Our ground is flat and pretty much cleared of debris. we have decided for our use the L2501/L2502 model would to a good replacement tractor. We will be purchasing the D model as we don’t care for the hydrostatic drive we are comfortable using a geared tractor and frankly, every dollar counts. So, now to my question.

Because every dollar counts, the L2501 is the model we prefer. We have found some in the NW but they have been sitting on the dealer lots for a long time and I’m concerned about damage they may have incurred both in terms of damage to the seat, hoses, paint job and most importantly to issues like water incursion into the hydraulic system. I realize a lot of people leave their tractors outside year round but we are in a heavy rainfall area and we lost our b8200 due to water in the hydraulics the dealer was unable to resolve. (That is a long, sad story for another time). So, thoughts?

As a final note, we would buy used but honestly we are not mechanics…we raise sheep. And I’m a daughter of a tractor dealer who had sketchy ethics so we aren’t skilled enough to outwit the plethora of backyard dealers.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I’m a daughter of a tractor dealer who had sketchy ethics so we aren’t skilled enough to outwit the plethora of backyard dealers.
I'm also in the PNW, Coastal Region, and recently purchased a new tractor.

Mind if I ask you to share the area, and what dealer. You can message me if you like.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You say you've found tractors in the NW. What exactly does that mean? Trimley indicated the coastal region of the northwest. Yep, they get a lot of rain and even flooding this year. On the other hand I live on the eastern end of Washington state and we have less annual precipitation than Phoenix, AZ. If you buy a new (unused) tractor off the lot it should have the full factory warranty. If you're really concerned about the hydraulics you could make replacing the hydraulic fluid part of the deal. The L2502 has the same power as the L2501 but to me the difference is not enough to justify replacing my L2501. You may have trouble finding one without HST and having used it I wouldn't be without it though I think it did raise the price by about $1000. Good luck on your shopping.

Reactions: 1 user

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
This should be moved, but make sure you can live without a live pto on the DT model and if you can I would go with the L2502 as it has a syncro shuttle transmission that the L2501 does not.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Make the dealer open the drain on the hyd system to check for water….(water will be on the bottom of any tank of oil)… and replace the seat if you’re worried about it… dull paint is a point for haggling price… IOW, these are nothing to be worrying about… and genuine Kubota dealers are not known for being “sketchy”. They ain’t cheap…but they ain’t cheats either. IMO.

A new tractor comes with a warranty. Get the model you want.

Reactions: 4 users

DDCD

Equipment
1964 MF135, L2501
May 8, 2021
Oklahoma
Check used. There are tons of barely used standard Ls for good prices around me. You can see if that took care of it by looking for the white filters vs. the factory gray. I had to finance but next time I’ll save and buy cash. around 20k for a used l2501, a few implements, low hours, on Zuckerbergs page.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I have no idea 'how long" the typical used 2501 sits on a dealers lot, however I am quite sure they move them as fast as they can..... after all, that is a part of how they stay in business.

I would not think that from a dealer, you would be getting one that has been siting on their lot for "years" .....or something like that.....

Now the original owner is a different story.....Looking at paint and overall condition is probably the best indicator of how it was treated, but....(and there is always a 'but)

All the car dealers I have worked at not only "broom them" as fast as they can, but they can also "polish a turd" so it's hard to say that "appearance" is necessarily a good indicator from a dealer.

Buying used, from the original owner, would be thought for you. Then you can look at how they keep their place up, which IMHO is a great indicator of how well it was maintained.

Buying used is a PITA to me, but to each their own.

Good luck, and show us pics of your new ride when you get it.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I don't think there is much of an advantage for a L2502 if you are going geared. The improvements including moving the brake to the left side won't matter, for example. However, I'd watch one of the walk through videos on the L2502 to ensure none of the improvements are something you want.

I suggest you go drive a HST tractor if you haven't. There are a lot of advantages doing loader work going forward/backward is quite a bit more efficient.

L2501 is a very popular model. Unless it's a dealer that has high prices, I don't think a new L2501 would be sitting very long. Consider where the dealer is. Some are in inclement climates that are extremely cold in Winter and hot in Summer. Proximity to mountains makes a big difference and tends to moderate the weather assuming the dealer is in the valley.

Finally, consider sales tax. Washington and Idaho have sales tax and Oregon and Montana do not.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have no idea 'how long" the typical used 2501 sits on a dealers lot, however I am quite sure they move them as fast as they can..... after all, that is a part of how they stay in business.

I would not think that from a dealer, you would be getting one that has been siting on their lot for "years" .....or something like that.....

Now the original owner is a different story.....Looking at paint and overall condition is probably the best indicator of how it was treated, but....(and there is always a 'but)

All the car dealers I have worked at not only "broom them" as fast as they can, but they can also "polish a turd" so it's hard to say that "appearance" is necessarily a good indicator from a dealer.

Buying used, from the original owner, would be thought for you. Then you can look at how they keep their place up, which IMHO is a great indicator of how well it was maintained.

Buying used is a PITA to me, but to each their own.

Good luck, and show us pics of your new ride when you get it.
Certainly all good points, but.....there definitely are exceptions.

Example:

From Craigslist 350 miles away.....

I bought a (then) 13 year old Kubota L48 TLB from a private party.
Machine had been outside it's entire life.
Had 251 total hours.
65 yr. old original owner/seller had MS, and had not used the machine for a few years.
It was obviously a bit emotional for him to be selling it.
Paint was faded.
Small tree had fallen on BH doing minor, readily repairable damage.
Tires had minor sun damage.
Hoses had minor sun damage.
Seat was torn, and wood inside was rotted.
Both Loader bucket and BH bucket had pitting inside from sitting with water.
( Why would owner allow that to happen?)

IMHO I got one hell of a deal at $32K.
Brought it home, blasted/repainted some parts, spray painted wheels, replaced seat.
Fixed hoe tree damage ($130), blasted and marine epoxied inside of both buckets.
Compounded and waxed entire machine
Spent about $800 total on rehab stuff.

Machine now looks nearly new, and in 2023, is worth WAY more on the used market, than I paid for it in 2019!

Last edited:

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Certainly all good points, but.....there are exceptions.
Example:
I bought a (then) 13 year old Kubota L48 TLB from a private party.
Machine had been outside it's entire life.
Had 251 total hours.
65 yr. old original owner/seller had MS, and had not used the machine for at least several years.
Paint was faded.
Small tree had fallen on BH doing readily repairable minor damage.
Tires had minor sun damage.
Hoses had minor sun damage.
Seat was rotted.
Both Loader bucket and BH bucket had inside pitting from sitting with water.

IMHO I got one hell of a deal at $32K.
Brought it home, repainted some parts, incl wheels both sides, replaced seat.
Fixed hoe tree damage ($130), and marine epoxied inside of both buckets.

Machine now looks nearly new, and in 2023 is worth WAY more than I paid for it in 2019!

Yes sir Fried, I agree that you got one hell of a deal, and there is no question there are people out there, just like you, that are good at finding those deals. God bless you for it. (y)

I suppose there are other factors, like how long can the OP wait?

How far are they willing to travel?

Does she have 2 weeks, 2 months......2 years perhaps before she needs it for their farm?

A persons temperament can have a lot to do with it I suppose too.

Take a guy like....ummm...well like me......I ain't waiting for jack squat.

I personally loathe the "search for a good deal". I hate dickering, I hate calling people, I hate them canceling, I dislike people in general, I hate being nice to people, I hate driving around to look at 20 pieces of sh!t, I hate everything about buying used.

I have done it, but I avoid it like Herpes.

I do the research necessary, then go buy it new, and just like Herpes, its with me for life. 😂

Just my style I suppose......like double spacing my posts....hahahahah

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
I don't think there is much of an advantage for a L2502 if you are going geared. The improvements including moving the brake to the left side won't matter, for example. However, I'd watch one of the walk through videos on the L2502 to ensure none of the improvements are something you want.

I suggest you go drive a HST tractor if you haven't. There are a lot of advantages doing loader work going forward/backward is quite a bit more efficient.

L2501 is a very popular model. Unless it's a dealer that has high prices, I don't think a new L2501 would be sitting very long. Consider where the dealer is. Some are in inclement climates that are extremely cold in Winter and hot in Summer. Proximity to mountains makes a big difference and tends to moderate the weather assuming the dealer is in the valley.

Finally, consider sales tax. Washington and Idaho have sales tax and Oregon and Montana do not.
I think the syncro shuttle on the L2502 is a huge improvement over the L2501, if they would of put a live PTO on it i would own one.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yes sir Fried, I agree that you got one hell of a deal, and there is no question there are people out there, just like you, that are good at finding those deals. God bless you for it. (y)

Does she have 2 weeks, 2 months......2 years perhaps before she needs it for their farm?

I personally loathe the "search for a good deal". I hate dickering, I hate calling people, I hate them canceling, I dislike people in general, I hate being nice to people, I hate driving around to look at 20 pieces of sh!t, I hate everything about buying used.

I do the research necessary, then go buy it new, and just like Herpes, its with me for life. 😂

We ARE very different!
I am old...you are not!
I do love the hunt, almost as much as the buy.

Stormy873

Equipment
B8200
Dec 10, 2023
Pacific NW