L2501 or B3350SU

Jtroiano

Equipment
Future owner
May 10, 2015
Deer Island, OR, USA
I can't decide. I'm swaying more to the L2501 because it is heavier and seems to be just a stronger machine. It also doesn't have the DPFE. My only concern is the HP rating is only 25HP verses the B3350 33HP. The dealer said the 2501 just was set up to run at lower RPM's to meet emissions with out the DPFE. I believe him because it actually is a larger engine than the 3350. I'm going to get the backhoe and field mower.

Maybe the governor could be adjusted for the extra 300rpm's and HP?

Any thoughts would be great.

Jon T

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I've always been a huge fan of the "L" series. The positioning on the three point hitch is a must have for me. Dad has had an l2250 for around 25 years and that thing has been a little tank. Wife and I are talking about and leaning towards the l2501 with fel, hydraulic top link, third functions, and a few other goody's when her car gets paid off in a few months :D And selling our l1501 as a packaged deal with the bush hog and back blade.

Honestly for me, I haven't even looked at any of the other series tractors

Jtroiano

Equipment
Future owner
May 10, 2015
Deer Island, OR, USA
I've always been a huge fan of the "L" series. The positioning on the three point hitch is a must have for me. Dad has had an l2250 for around 25 years and that thing has been a little tank. Wife and I are talking about and leaning towards the l2501 with fel, hydraulic top link, third functions, and a few other goody's when her car gets paid off in a few months :D And selling our l1501 as a packaged deal with the bush hog and back blade.

Honestly for me, I haven't even looked at any of the other series tractors
I'd like the L3301 but the price difference is pretty spendy, plus it has the DPFE. I don't think the 2014 L3301 has the DPFE? I wonder if the Kubota dealers do trades. I do like the local guy that has the dealer in town. Hate to go buy someplace else.

Jon T

Eray

Equipment
L2501 HST
Feb 24, 2015
Lenoir City, Tennessee
I just bought a 2501. I sold a John Deere 3032E to get the new L2501. So far I am very happy with the 2501. Everything on it seems to be heavier built than it had to be. Loader has a pretty good lift. Hydrostatic is not particulary noisy and the lift is fairly smooth with very little jerkiness. Only thing I liked better with the Deere is the dual hydrostatic pedals. The Kubota treadle pedal is taking some getting used to.

Jtroiano

Equipment
Future owner
May 10, 2015
Deer Island, OR, USA
I just bought a 2501. I sold a John Deere 3032E to get the new L2501. So far I am very happy with the 2501. Everything on it seems to be heavier built than it had to be. Loader has a pretty good lift. Hydrostatic is not particulary noisy and the lift is fairly smooth with very little jerkiness. Only thing I liked better with the Deere is the dual hydrostatic pedals. The Kubota treadle pedal is taking some getting used to.

Thanks for the input Eray.

Does anybody know what type of fuel injection is in the 2501? Common rail or old mechanical? Maybe and easy tweak and you could have 30HP?

Jon T

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for the input Eray.

Does anybody know what type of fuel injection is in the 2501? Common rail or old mechanical? Maybe and easy tweak and you could have 30HP?

Jon T[/QUOTE

It is direct inject, water cooled, but beyond that Kubota doesn't have an easily accessible online description of this engine, so it is hard to tell what has been modified from their older non-tier 4 diesel engines. It does not appear to have common rail from a parts diagram. http://www.kubota.com/part/partsList.aspx

I didn't see where they specify their engine number, but it is usually in the owner's manual, so someone that has a 2501 could tell you that. Then you can access general descriptions of that engine type.

as far as an easy tweak for more hp...?

All the 3301's have DPF, including the 2014's.

Jtroiano

Equipment
Future owner
May 10, 2015
Deer Island, OR, USA
So I'm sold on the L2501. It has more cubic inches than the 3350.

I went to another dealer just to check the prices the local guy was quoting me. They were 2k higher so that made me happy.

Some guy I was talking to (very loud) seemed to know everything about Kubota said the L2501 is old school mechanical fuel injection and all they did was lower the RPM to get it to pass emissions. So if you look at all the specs. It just needs a little more RPM's to match the 30hp models.

I think after the warranty is up I could tinker a little and it would be much better.

I'm calling the dealer tomorrow and placing my order!!!

Jon T