L2501 Hydraulic Overfill resolve. (2021 L2501 still under warranty)

Belmoresr

Equipment
B7500
Aug 9, 2021
Savannah, Ga
Grappler was leaking out of a loose fitting, no idea how much fluid leaked out. Very easy to tighten the offending fitting.
Bought 2.5 gallons of Kubota fluid at local dealer.
Didn’t take heed of previous posts about just pouring in a few ounces at a time when replacing fluid.
I’d imagine I overfilled by a gallon or more.
Site glass works well when level is close other than that it is useless as you can’t really tell overfilled vs too low.
Resolution:
Drove Left rear tire up on 2x6 to move fluid away from site glass hole.
Put a new 16 quart oil changing drain pan underneath after cleaning the area well. I will filter completely and recover when I do 50 hour oil filter change.
Removed site glass with 8” crescent wrench. (Man card is still intact)
Kept the site glass right next to the opening to slow down the stream of oil that was coming out.
When it stopped (Mostly) draining I tried to insert the site glass from below but found it MUCH easier to get up and hold site glass w right hand
and align and tighten with left hand on top of the decking.
Tightened again w Cresent wrench and only replaced 2-3-4 ozs in at a time. It probably took a red solo cup :) worth to get it to show 2/3 full.
Fluid showed in site glass within 2-3 minutes of pouring it in.
Running tractor showed movement in site glass but the level didn’t really change.
If I had to do it again it would only take a half hour. BUT, being extra careful and not wanting to have to repeat it took me 2 hours.
AND, it was 98 in the shade.

I think that hydraulic dye is in my future.

Hope this helps,
Billy

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I use the dye from John Deere, too... Little goes a long way. Also, it's just a holding / cooling tank. There was an "improvement bulletin" years ago that I've posted before that raised the oil level by more than a gallon (this was from Kubota headquarters) to submerge the PTO ratching CAMS.

Basically, you can over fill it without any problems. I've been running a gallon or so extra for over 10 years. If I see air in the sight glass, I add another gallon. It's just a holding tank.

WDF

Equipment
Kubota L2501 HST/FEL
Jan 4, 2021
Central Florida
I use the dye from John Deere, too... Little goes a long way. Also, it's just a holding / cooling tank. There was an "improvement bulletin" years ago that I've posted before that raised the oil level by more than a gallon (this was from Kubota headquarters) to submerge the PTO ratching CAMS.

Basically, you can over fill it without any problems. I've been running a gallon or so extra for over 10 years. If I see air in the sight glass, I add another gallon. It's just a holding tank.
I don't think so - I also had the same problem as OP, leaking 3-rd function kit and I overfilled.
The tractor ran fine but it jerked hard when I shut down, like the HST was engaging. Had no problems prior to adding fluid.
Drained 1/2 gallon out until level in center of card, been working fine since.

lakehouse_dreaming

Equipment
L3901HST, LA525 FEL, RGA1258 tiller, RCR1860 rotary cutter
Nov 2, 2021
I know that the L2501 and L3901 are basically the same tractor just with a different engine. I have never seen a sight window on my L3901 though. Where should I look for it?

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I use the dye, and it is... crazy. one day nothing in the sight glass, next day sight glass is full next day sight glass is half.. I never really know from day to day if I am under, over, or half.. when I have a hyd leak, (usually a fitting on my back hoe) I add a quart or so, run it for a bit, and keep an eye on the glass.. add a quart or so at a time then run for a bit. finally I see some in the sight glass. next day.. who knows.. full, nothing, or over full.. Mx4800 does not matter if it is running or stopped, bucket to the top or bottom.

M

Belmoresr

Equipment
B7500
Aug 9, 2021
Savannah, Ga
I use the dye, and it is... crazy. one day nothing in the sight glass, next day sight glass is full next day sight glass is half.. I never really know from day to day if I am under, over, or half.. when I have a hyd leak, (usually a fitting on my back hoe) I add a quart or so, run it for a bit, and keep an eye on the glass.. add a quart or so at a time then run for a bit. finally I see some in the sight glass. next day.. who knows.. full, nothing, or over full.. Mx4800 does not matter if it is running or stopped, bucket to the top or bottom.

M
Yep, I went out this morning to hook up my grapple. Can’t see the oil level in the site glass, once again. AND, that’s before the grapple was hooked up And after running the tractor for 10 minutes Last night.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada

M
I think the sight glass is too small.
The one on my bike is twice the diameter and it only holds 4L or so. Always easy to see.

The hydraulic fluid is about 23L and if the tractor is tilted a couple degrees you can't see the level.
Just have to get used to it and I'm in for the dye too.

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I think the sight glass is too small.
The one on my bike is twice the diameter and it only holds 4L or so. Always easy to see.

The hydraulic fluid is about 23L and if the tractor is tilted a couple degrees you can't see the level.
Just have to get used to it and I'm in for the dye too.
This is all within the same hour..

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I know that the L2501 and L3901 are basically the same tractor just with a different engine. I have never seen a sight window on my L3901 though. Where should I look for it?
The L2501 and the L3301 are similar tractors with a vast number of differences.
The L3301 and the L3901 are basically the same tractors with different engines.
The L4701 is a vastly different animal from the other three models.