L2501 HST Safety Adjustment?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My L2501 is sometimes hard to get to start. I know it’s the HST Safety switch. Some people have posted that theirs was out of adjustments on other Ls. I took a good look and couldn’t seem to find an adjustment. I sprayed down the switch and it started. Shortly after it refused to start, so I sprayed it down with WD40 again. So far that seems to be ok.

If you have an L2501, did you find an adjustment? If you don’t, but have an L, where did you find your adjustment and how did you do it?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
I'm not sure what HST adjustment you seek. The treadle lever must be in a neutral position to start, that is neither forward or reverse. If not properly set it can prevent starting. Mine doesn't care what gear is selected with the shifter but it does require me to push in the clutch to start.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You need the Work Shop Manual which you can find on line for free. Then go to page 3-S12.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Not sure what yours might look like. Here are two shots of my L3200's HST switch. Maybe yours is similar. The switch on mine is located in the center area below the dash. One picture will give you an idea of the location and the other shows the plunger that is actuated by a tab on the HST pedal and the locknuts. After making the adjustment I never had any trouble after that as long as I owned it. Hope this helps.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My L2501 is sometimes hard to get to start. I know it’s the HST Safety switch. Some people have posted that theirs was out of adjustments on other Ls. I took a good look and couldn’t seem to find an adjustment. I sprayed down the switch and it started. Shortly after it refused to start, so I sprayed it down with WD40 again. So far that seems to be ok.

If you have an L2501, did you find an adjustment? If you don’t, but have an L, where did you find your adjustment and how did you do it?
All I can think to add is WD40 does not affect equipment adjustments. So MAYBE the issue is with the switch itself, getting water in it or whatever...and not an adjustment issue?

Is it possible that the WD40 actually temporally lubricated the HST pedal linkage?

Just a thought...

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Just to update everyone, the lubricant was not a long term fix.

Steps I followed to "fix" it.
1. Take the black cover off on the treadle pedal side of the hum that attaches with 12mm wrenches/sockets.
2. Place a block or wood or similar underneath the back of the treadle pedal. Might be optional but takes all force off the switch.
3. Take the single grey bolt out that holds the electric switch.
4. That will free up the switch with the adjustment bolt.
5. Loosen the bolt that holds the switch to the bracket.
6. Rotate the bracket to make more of the bolt that goes through the bracket. The workshop manual says 1.88-1.91 inches from the switch to the welded nut not he bracket, but look at the picture so you know where to measure.
7. Tighten the locknut.
8. Put the grey bolt back in. The bracket has a "nub" to index it which is why only bolt is required.
9. Put the black cover back on with the bolts and nut.

RichOzz

Equipment
L2501 HST w/LA525 66" bucket BH77 LA BB1260 RCR1260 EA 42" Pallet Forks
Aug 26, 2021
MA
I am appreciative to all for posting regarding the treadle pedal safety switch. My L2501 HST w/65 hours would not restart after an hour or so of use. Following the posted actions of others I was able to locate the safety switch without removing any covers. It can be seen from the operator's position, moving when the treadle pedal moves. I was able to depress the pedal to create space at the switch plunger which allowed me to push the plunger up several times with my finger. Then I sprayed a bit of lithium grease to the plunger as best I could. That solved the problem. So glad this site exists. Living on an island, I'm more than 2 1/2 hours, including ferry ride from the nearest dealer!

Reactions: 1 user