L2501 floating position

rockwelljt

Equipment
L2501
Dec 28, 2015
Greenacres, WA
New tractor owner here. I can get my L2501 bucket into the float position but only when going backwards; when I drop the bucket & try to put it into float to go forward, the front tires come off the ground & I can't get it to hold in the float position. I am sure I doing some amateur thing wrong....any help is appreciated

Rockwelljt

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If the control when shoved all the way forward to float won't click in and hold it could be a bad valve, or out of adjustment linkage.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
If you don't have the bucket tilted up a little, the leading edge will dig in and lift the front of the tractor. It does work going forward as I used it last winter to clear off my gravel driveway using float position got forward.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
It is not unusual to lift the front wheels when going forward unless you are in snow, your bucket will dig in and the FEL arms become a lever to pick the front up. You can mitigate it a little bit by adjusting the bucket to dig in less, but our 2200, 2660, 5740 and 8540 all raise the front end in dirt or rock while in float. I use it extensively to drag in reverse, rarely when going forward.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yup, to 'float going forward', you have to have the back bottom edge on the ground and the front cutting edge up an inch or so. Remember, in float, the bucket is free to move up and down. If that leading edge 'digs in', something has to give, it will dig a little then try to drive over itself.
It ends up being either a smoothing operation or in snow, a plow effect though if it is deep, you will stop forward movement once the volume you are pushing gets to be too great.
I do not even bother trying to float going forward unless I have 'shoes' on the bucket.
Great for 'cheating'
http://r2manufacturing.com/edge-tamer-2/

joes

Nov 22, 2015
pa
Would the edge tamer be of any benefit for a paved driveway, followed would a box scraper or a waste of money?

thanks

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Float should work with bucket flat. The wear plates leave a trail, so angling bucket down a little at a time til front edge scrapes a little and it should work fine. A new cutting edge will make float more of a challenge. Much easier when its dull

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Edge Tamer really is for a gravel or grass surface though it will work ok on solid surface. With them on, even a 'flat' bucket will leave an inch or so. What they permit is carelessness. They also will keep the bucket from gouging if the surface is not relatively flat.