L2501 Cruise Control

rroberts

Equipment
L2501
Sep 5, 2018
EDGEWOOD
I searched and didn't see an answer for this, I just got a new L2501 last week (Love it by the way) but the cruise control does not work how I think it should, I set the speed with the lever and when I let go it slowly backs off till it stops, if I hold the lever in place all is fine. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The cruise lever is simply a friction device that holds the HST pedal to a certain position. It sounds like the lever needs more friction, or needs to be tightened. The dealer should do this for you, free.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
Welcome aboard to the group. My cruise works fine and stays in place unless it comes under a substantial load and then it begins to back off. This might not answer your question but it makes believe that something does need to be tightened on yours or mine is working wrong. Let us know what you find out.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the OTT forum Roberts. This is a great site to get answers. :)

I have had my tractor for over 4 years and my "speed control lever" still works perfectly. Yours must be too loose.

Last edited:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I love the wealth of knowledge OTT users bring to the table. I have a B3200 with a similar issue. Trying to use cruise while brush hogging and the tractor slows to a stop. Can anyone point us to a general area or exploded diagram on where it needs adjusted?

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
You all do realize that the really good tractors have the cruse control calibrated to stop after a short time to allow a beverage of your choice ? And now that you have one that stops more often it would seem to be a good thing :)

Ya as the others have said there is a good chance something needs tightened or adjusted to hold in place better.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
You all do realize that the really good tractors have the cruse control calibrated to stop after a short time to allow a beverage of your choice ? And now that you have one that stops more often it would seem to be a good thing :)

Ya as the others have said there is a good chance something needs tightened or adjusted to hold in place better.
Now that you put it that way, I think mine is working just fine!!

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I installed cruise on my L3901. It’s a fairly complicated system for what it does. I’m out of adjustment and it’ll still back off unless I keep a little pressure on the treadle.

Dae06

May 10, 2018
Minnesota
Well, that happened to mine the other day. Turns out I had the parking brake on slightly, which will disengages the cruise control lock :eek:. Luckily I figured it out right away so I wasn't driving with the brakes on.

JPB7745

Equipment
L2501, B8200 and Ford 3000
Aug 27, 2018
Okatie, SC
Just got my L2501 this week and it doesn’t have the cruise control. Is that an option or did my dealer not install it? Hummmm.

rroberts

Equipment
L2501
Sep 5, 2018
EDGEWOOD
I made it by the dealer this week, There are 3 tension bolts, the cruise control works off tension nothing else adjusted those and everything is fine now

Mak65

Equipment
L2501 HST
Apr 25, 2019
TX
I made it by the dealer this week, There are 3 tension bolts, the cruise control works off tension nothing else adjusted those and everything is fine now
I know this is an old thread but I have the same issue on my L2501 (CC backs off as I drive). I haven’t had a chance to get mine back to dealer. Where are these 3 tension bolts? Are they under the left floor board?

Would tightening the locknut on the cruise spring (shown on page 3-S13 of the WSM) increase tension? I am not even sure what this spring does as it never moved when I was under the tractor (engine off, level ground) while my son moved the CC lever to engage/disengage and the brake to disengage.

Thanks