L2500 trans hydraulic filling engine

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
Hi my Kubota is a 1997 3 cylinder diesel , recently the engine became flooded with hydraulic fluid , so i drained all fluids filters , pulled hydraulic pump removed snap ring replaced output seal and all associated orings , re installed filled fluids started tractor and after about 4 minutes filled engine again with trans hydraulic fluid ,, any ideas other than replacing with new hydraulic pump ( because I have a new one on way ) could it be coming from another area or could something like pressure relief be bad ? thanks 3tike new to forum

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes it's possible for the pressure release valve to be stuck , or any line or valve to be plugged or stuck closed to get the same kinds of problems.
Did the 3 point and if equipped HST? or FEL? work before it lost all its fluid?

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
The 3pt worked fine , i dont know what the hst stands for ,but the front end loader seemed ok but i noticed my power steering has been performing poorly since the problems started . obiously I havent been running much since i realized i had problem , thanks tike

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Welcome Aboard

I had the same thing happen to my L275. Rebuilding the pump did not solve the problem. I had to replace the pump and that solved my problem, but by ALL means check any pressure relief and priority valves you have to make sure that they are working properly and that the spools for the loader are not sticking or you could be buying yet another pump.:eek: Hopefully my hard learned lesson will save you $$$.

Good luck, hydro problems give me nightmares.:(

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
HST= Hydro Static Transmission

The only place for it to get to the oil is from the back of the pump.
Sounds like you could have a problem with the priority valve for the steering.

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
thanks for help people , my tractor is not a hydro static and the secound time this happenened the fel was not on the tractor although the spools for loader are , in regards to priority valve is that a seperate issue not related to oil pouring into motor ?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No the priority valve could possibly be the cause of your problem.

Here is the reasoning... You say that the steering is performing poorly, the priority valve sends fluid to the steering no matter what else you do to other hydraulic devices, so that you never lose steering control.
If it's bad or sticking it could be driving up the head pressure on the pump.
You would need a High pressure (5000PSI) gauge to test the system properly.
With things this complicated, it might be cheaper to take it in and have it serviced.

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
thanks wolfman , ill look into it before i put new pump on . do you happen to know where priority valve is ?

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
Replaced hydraulic pump with shiney brand new one , did it solve my issue with hydraulic fluid filling my motor ? NO the power steering worked well but still same problem , I dont know

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
Installed 5000 psi gauge between pump and relief valve operating pressure with no hydraulics working read zero 3pt lift about 750 psi to lift brush hog bottom out fel 2200 psi turn steering wheel to left 750 psi smooth motion but when turn right 250 psi and hard to turn , any thoughts wolfman ? I now have a repair manual to use as a guide thanks 3 tike

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It sounds like there is something going on with the steering box.

I would follow bandaidmd's advice and hit them up over there, you might get another line of advice and knowledge.

With the new pump it still filled the motor with hydraulic fluid?
There is something causing the pressure to go too high and not bypass or relieve itself.

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
yes it did fill engine with hydraulic oil after replacing with new pump , ive only ran motor again for 10 minutes with gauge connected didnt see pressure spike and it didnt seem to fill motor with any fluid, may be a week before have opportunity to look at it again , ill look into other site and reply in a wk or so thanks 3tike

3tike

Equipment
1997 l2500 4wd
Aug 15, 2013
ann arbor mi
Well after taking apart relief valve . priority valve , adjusting linkage on control lift valve and pulling out relief valve on power steering and not seeing any problems with them I was still having same problem with filling oil into motor ( I hate to tell how many gallons of diesel oil and trans hydraulic oil i wasted about about 20 or so gallons ) I found the problem ! You where right wolfman it was in steering box. the spool on the power steering must not be shifting correctly , I took a hose and connected the pressure outlet of priority valve that goes to steering and routed it back to tank port on priority valve ( just bypassed power steering ) and no more oil problem . Also steers great so I dont see any reason to think I have a bad bearing on steering shaft but Ill see when pull apart anyway was able to mow over an hour today with no issue . I wont be able to put fel on until i get it fixed though . thanks to all who shared input I appreciate it . hope this helps someone out some day 3tike

Last edited: