L245dt starting problems

tfedero1

Equipment
L245DT
Sep 18, 2011
PLYMOUTH, PA
I've owned this Kubota for about 4 months and have had no issues starting until today. Bottom line is battery is fully charged and lights work strong. Cleaned terminals and connection at the starter. When you turn the key to engage the starter it very weakly tries to turn over and within a couple of seconds you hear a clicking sound only. I'm assuming this is the starter. At first I thought it was a weak battery (because the engine and starter are sounding that way) but battery checks out ok and the connections were cleaned. Jumper battery added no juice to the start up. The odd thing is that the day before I brush hogged about eight acres with no incident. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
How does the alternator look. It could be the alternator is geting weak and is not holding a charge anymore. Take it off and carry it to an auto parts store and have it tested.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
My guess is starter. Clicking sound is a give away, for me because mine did the same thing. Call around your local shops as its cheaper to have it rebuilt then to buy a new one in most cases.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Tap on the starter with a hammer while turing the key and see if the starter is geting stuck or hung up. Might need a person in the seat helping and some one on the hammer tapping.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I had the same thing happen to me with my L35. Turned out to be the ground cable where it attached to the frame. It was corroded under the connection. Cleaned it and it worked as it was supposed to. I didn't like the way the battery was grounded, so I added a second ground to another point on the frame and hopefully it won't happen again. Good Luck and let us know what you find out.