L245DT post pounder

stearman33

Equipment
Kubota L245DT, Model 1200 FEL
Oct 18, 2012
Seattle, WA
Anyone out there use their 245 for pounding fence posts, either rear mount like a Shaver, or perhaps using a handheld model powered by the FEL's aux PTO? If so, I'll have many, many follow-up questions. Thanks.

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
hi,
i've a 245 too and past summer i was working on my fence for horses.
more than 250 fence posts done by the hand...
but i remain interested to see how it can be done staying seated on my orange tractor...

greetings

Last edited:

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
Why not use some form of attachment to the 3 pt similar to those trailer ball drawbars with a vertical piece of pipe that is capped. Slide your fence post in, pound or push it down with the controls.

stearman33

Equipment
Kubota L245DT, Model 1200 FEL
Oct 18, 2012
Seattle, WA
@Amaurymsa...tidy looking pasture. What you did I'm trying to avoid:)
@Fastest1...I think the short answer is the 245 doesn't have appreciable down pressure @ the 3-pt, so not much muscle, 9.8 m/s2 to be exact, maybe slightly less at my farm:) I guess using the bucket might work, but if working alone it might be tricky, plus the geometry is bad. Guess there's a reason why these $$ attachments exist.

RDR

Equipment
M5400,B6100E,K008,L175,TG1860Diesel,JD355D,3)Leyland 154D's,YM2000,IH1466
Oct 13, 2009
Danevang, Tx.
When I was a teenager a neighbor had a post pounder that mounted on the side of the tractor ahead of the operator. It had a heavy weight that was raised by a chain that I think was rotated by a hydraulic motor. As the chain came around a tab would catch the weight and raise it. As the chain went around the top sprocket it released the weight to drop and pound the post. It also moved in and out to line up with the post. This was for pounding posts in a vineyard. Many years ago I saw one at an auction that someone wanted way more than I did.

We didn't have one. We punched a hole in the ground with a bar, inserted a sharpened cedar post and drove it in with an 12lb. mall. We had a 16 lb. for the larger end post. Most posts only had to be hit 2 or 3 times to put them back down after the frost heaved them up every winter. Down here I put the posts in my vineyard the same way. Once they are in I don't have to do anything unless I am replacing one.

I like this way over digging a hole with a post hole digger and all of the tamping to make them tight.

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
hello,
maybe too late, but to complete the job for my fence, i've rent a tool to using a compressor to push down posts.

with my brother, 100posts/day

a bit tired at the end but happy with the result