L245dt dynamo / alternator (l245)

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
dear all,
as a lot of you, i want to add extra light to my kubota.
i've some led projectors (4x27w) but before to mount them i want to be sure than the alternator will be sufficient.

i've check on the alternator but no labels to see how much amp it can deliver...
but i saw somewhere on the web than it's a 25amp

after a quick calc,
head lights 70w
rear lights 20w
licence plate light 5w
turning light (one side on) 42w
beacon 50w
----> worst case : 187w
----> best case : 145w

available at alternator 300w

so with 4 leds lights @27w each = 108w
----> worst case : 300w-187w-108w= 5w
----> best case : 300w-145w-108w= 47w

as i will be most of the time in the best case, does 47w are enough to keep in charge my batt?
who can confirm if the alternator is a 25Amp or someone with a 245 and extra light wired?

thanks...

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Appears to be a 40amp, or at least the aftermarket replacements are. Wipe the crud off the alternator, they usually have a plate on them designating the capacity.

I'd think 50 watts would be plenty as long as you're running it for longer than 10 minutes at a sitting. That's equivalent to a 4 amp battery charger. No experience to support that but makes sense to me.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
So long as you stay in your "best" case scenario and you run the machine long enough to "refill the battery" after each start cycle you should be okay.

On all our powered equipment and farm trucks we've formed the habit of mounting an on-board trickle charger (Schumacher is one brand) and if we have any doubts we just plug it in when parking after each use. Makes a huge difference in battery life and makes winter starts oh so much easier. Trucks and tractors especially run on trickle continuously from about October through March. Lawnmowers too during winter dry storage.

amaurymsa

Equipment
L245DT with FEL
Aug 27, 2012
TOURNAI, BELGIUM
thanks for your input...
second check today on the alternator, just one label but no amp wroted..
i use already an on-board trickle charger since last winter, and you're right, it's a huge differrence...:)

by the way, past night i get the following idea :
when i'll use rear leds lights (2x27W) i will shut off the rear lights (20w)
licence plate light (5w)
when i'll use front leds lights, turning off the beacon (50W)
following this way i'll be confident with my charging.
i've to draw the schematic and then wiring on my loved kubota...
:D