L245DT Axle Nut

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Pulled axle to swap out an oil seal and ran into this. The axle nut flange was bent into the axle keyway. I guess this is factory, what it the best way to bend this up in order to pull the nut off? I tried getting a screwdriver under it, but couldnt. Thanks

Heres a couple pics.

Assembly:

Close up of nut:

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
This is called staking the nut. It's a common way to keep tork and vibration from working the nut loose. I usually just use a big socket and my large inpact gun......the twisting motion will push the nut back round. You can also use the chisels described above. Be sure not to leave a burr hanging off the shaft. It can mess up the threads inside to nut as you screw it off.
JWB

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Thanks all...I will try the chisel route this evening.

anyone know the nut size, I need to pick up a socket to fit. I think it is 1 13/16, not dimensioned in the parts manual.

Thanks again.

LT1Pat

Apr 7, 2011
Lake Orion, MI
It's probably 46mm or 1-13/16 because that's what the crank bolt is.

Thanks all...I will try the chisel route this evening.

anyone know the nut size, I need to pick up a socket to fit. I think it is 1 13/16, not dimensioned in the parts manual.

Thanks again.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
46 mm was it.

I have the axle out and almost completely disassembled. The inner bearing is shot, but for the life of me I cannot get the snap rings out. I have tried snap ring pliers and needle-nose. Is there some special trick to removing these things?:confused:

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
I can move it around in the grove no problem, so I dont think its bound or anything. I can get the needle nose into the holes on the snap ring and start to close it up, but cant seem to get them closed enough to come out of the groove. They are a pretty stout spring, actually broke one of the arms on my snap ring pliers trying to squeeze together.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
How did you make out? This has been a very informative thread for me as ill be doing the same job, on the same tractor.....as soon as im done fixing my truck.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
I got them out. I took needle nose and got them out far enough to get a flat head screw driver behind the "eye" of the snap ring. Then with another screw driver, kept working around the ring and working it up. As soon as I got them out my buddy shows up and tells me he has a racheting set of snap ring pliers. Now its completely disassembled, parts place has the bearing. Ill post some pics later before I start to put it back together.

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Went back together real easy and fast. Replaced bearing and oil seal and it is back up and running with no oil leaks. Also swapped out the hyd oil filter. Over all a relatively easy fix with the right tools. Snap rings were by far the biggest challenge, but nothing the average shade tree guy cant do.