L245 tacho problem

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Hi everyone,

My L 245 (2WD) is very low hours and runs like a clock, but the tacho/hour meter doesn't work.

I took off the engine end of the cable and extracted the inner, it's in one piece and appears good. I was careful to try and re engage the drive when I replaced it. The oil and charge lights work.

Can anyone suggest what to do next ? I really don't want to pull apart anything that's working, the tractor is like factory. It's got cosmetic issues but I'm pretty sure most bolts have never been loosened. So I'm wondering if it's more likely to be the instrument or the drive ?

Thank you for your attention.

plowman12

Equipment
L245DT,FEL 1200,Woods rotary mower
Aug 9, 2014
colville,wa
Have you checked the other end of the cable at the back of the meter? It is a real pain to access ( I just had my dash out this weekend), but that could be a problem if not firmly attached!

Good luck!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Disconnect it from the engine side. Start the motor and make sure the little spade the cable slides over is turning. If thats turning, then you can hook a screw gun to the end of the cable to check the dash portion. Just ease into the trigger. Quick easy five minute check :D

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
Thank you for the remarkably quick responses and great advice.

I'll try to get to it tomorrow, we're having a monster heatwave this weekend and it's already too hot to go out again.:(

guzzis3

Equipment
L245
Jan 15, 2014
Queensland Australia
I'll box up some of my weather and send it on down, -12C today

LOL. Well our overnight temps atm are 23-24C. Miserable. Plus 60% + humidity. 38 today... -12 sounds great...send some snow while your at it :D

I am sorry I have not yet reported back on this. Between the heat and a shoulder injury I haven't got out there. I will post when I've done some investigations.