L225DT front axle removal

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
My fellow orange tractor owners, i am in need of some advise. i need to remove the front axle on my L225DT in order to gain access to one of the four bolts that hold the pinion housing to the front diff/axle housing. One of the four bolts broke the bolt head off. See pics. Anyhow, from what can tell it appears the from that supports the front axle is a single piece but obviously it has to come apart some how in order to get the axle in and out. I see the lock nut that holds the shaft that the axle pivots on but not sure how it would come out other than from the rear/engine block side? Any advise is much appreciated.

Attachments

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Would an EZ Out be within the realm of possibility? I don't mean the Harbor Freight quality, buy s really good one. You could even try for suggestions from a local machine shop where to locate something suitable. I think sometimes left turning drill bits are used, too.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Get the weight off the front wheels and the axle then remove the wheels.

Then the pin at the center of the tractor has to be removed. There is a lock nut on front and there may be some roll pin. I believe that the pin comes out to the front.

There are bushings in the tractor that can be replaced along with the pin, if needed.

There is a process to set the tension in the pin when reassembling. Has to do with how much force it takes to get axle to rotate. I will see if I can get the process and numbers.

You can see the illustrated parts list at Kubota USA to see how it all goes together.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Would an EZ Out be within the realm of possibility? I don't mean the Harbor Freight quality, buy s really good one. You could even try for suggestions from a local machine shop where to locate something suitable. I think sometimes left turning drill bits are used, too.
I am planning to use an easy out; the reason for removing the axle is access. I can't access the broken bolt with the axle installed. There's maybe an inch and half before the engine block.

daniel.ray77

Equipment
1976 Kubota L225DT
Nov 16, 2009
Salt Lake City, Utah
Get the weight off the front wheels and the axle then remove the wheels.

Then the pin at the center of the tractor has to be removed. There is a lock nut on front and there may be some roll pin. I believe that the pin comes out to the front.

There are bushings in the tractor that can be replaced along with the pin, if needed.

There is a process to set the tension in the pin when reassembling. Has to do with how much force it takes to get axle to rotate. I will see if I can get the process and numbers.

You can see the illustrated parts list at Kubota USA to see how it all goes together.
Thanks for the advise, Russel. So I'm looking at the illustrated parts diagram and i see the front axle and bushings that go in the pivot but i don't see the shaft itself and what's odd is the lock bolt that's on my L225DT is on the front side of the axle and on the diagram it looks like its towards the rear. Might just have to start pulling stuff apart and see what i find.