L2250 starting

rons tractor

Equipment
L2250
Feb 21, 2015
delaware
I have a L2250 restored. just got our first snow and used it to plow the driveway. started and ran fine. I parked it in the shop to go get warm,when I came back out 1 hr later,it clicked when turning the key then nothing. all battery connections tight,volt meter shows voltage thru to starter. the lights work with toggle switch,fuel pump ingages but nothing after that. any suggestions???

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sounds like your battery needs to be load tested. If you don't have a load tester, you can have someone try to start the tractor, while metering the battery. If voltage drops down to almost nothing then the battery is cooked. If battery holds good. Then it's time to double check the cables. By repeating the process except change the location of where your checking power. For example check voltage at starter with the ground terminal for the meter on the battery ground and have someone try to start the engine again. If voltage drops at the starter, then chances are good that there is a bad connection in one of the cable. To test ground cable, Meter off the positive terminal with ground on the frame. It's not uncommon for a battery to develop a bad cell suddenly. And will put enough juice out to run accessorys until it requires a bunch to start :rolleyes:

My dad has an l2250 and will occasionally have an issue with corrosion in the quick connects on the wiring harness also

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to the forum Ron. How about some pics of your pride and joy.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
I recently replaced the battery and cables in my L2050 and had the same experience. My ground connection had come loose at the frame. Snugged it up and she fired right up.

JGL

Equipment
L2250,bushhog,cultivator,woodsplitter,buzzsaw,farmi winch,woods blade,harrows,
Feb 17, 2013
Dieppe, NB,Canada
I've got a 1986 L2250 with 2370 hrs, bought it new, never had any problems except front oil seal on crankshaft, and front axle seal. Had the same thing happen with the battery. Get it charged up and do a load test.
Good luck

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I , think from your original post that you have a volt meter.

Connect the meter to the battery terminals when you try and start.
If the voltages drops below about 11 or if it is low to begin, your battery is either bad or in need of charging.
You need to check the voltage at the battery when the tractor is running to verify the charging system. I am not familiar with your tractor but most charge at 13.8 to 14.2 volts. If you turn on the lights while running, you should see the battery voltage drop momentarily then rise as the charging system responds.
Dave M7040