L225 Steering problem

WHF

Nov 4, 2013
Bucks Co,Pa
So while chisel plowing the field today my tractor decided it did not want to turn left anymore. When I turn the steering wheel left the wheel and shaft backs out of the shaft tube about an inch and a half to two inches.

Has this happened to anyone else? I took a video of it but I'm not sure if I can upload a video on here.

Thanks!

kbeatty-L225

Equipment
L225
Feb 12, 2013
Corsica, PA, United States
Hello and welcome!

Unfortunately I do not know the answer to your question. There are some very smart people that frequent this board and they will help you shortly, I am sure.

I have an L-225 also and happily have not suffered the problem you are currently having. I will say though that it is a very simple design and your problem can only be a few things so I am sure you will work it out pretty quickly.

If you need photos of anything or perhaps pages of a manual I will be happy to get those to you. Just let me now.

I had to stop by and say "Hello" to a fellow Pennsylvanian. Good luck! :D

WHF

Nov 4, 2013
Bucks Co,Pa
KBeatty thanks for your response.

I've just came in from taking the steering assembly apart. There was a lot of water inside the housing that came pouring out when I took out the part that attaches to the pitman arm. There was also a broken bearing and the bearings in the ball nut have a split housing. I'll post pics when I come back inside.

mike175

Equipment
L175 with bucket, and all the usual stuff needed to live in the middle of nowher
Jun 2, 2013
N. Vassalboro
i replaced my entire box/shaft/steering wheel on my l175 for 530 bucks. The shaft was too worn to take a new bearing.